My new M201

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new M201

I recently purchased a M201. I had no idea what I was going to look at when I went to see it the first time, I was just told that the guy had an "old power wagon" that he was wanting to sell. I fell in love the minute I saw the truck. I have owned several older vehicles through the years, and own 2 old Dodge's besides this, but this is certainly a first for me.

I am bringing the truck home this weekend (weather permitting), and will start to get a grip on what I have when I get it there.

When I went to look at the truck, it started and ran reasonable well with just a little filing on the points. I know very little about these old military vehicles, but have been reading everything I can since finding the truck, and am fascinated. I am looking forward to getting it to the house and getting to work on it.

Any thoughts about the truck, advice, and help is not only welcome, but wanted. John over at sweptline.org told me this was a great place to go for help and advice on these old trucks, and he has certainly never steered me wrong before in his advice.

I am attaching a link to some photos I have of the truck; I hope it works - please let me know what you think.

http://s1282.beta.photobucket.com/user/MyPowerWagon/library/#/user/MyPowerWagon/library/?&_suid=135724797164005595494685459974

Very Nice

That is a cool catch, do you know if the chassis longer than a stock M-37?

Comment

Wheel Base

Bruce,

It looks to me like the wheel base on it is 126" - but I will know more when I get it to the hosue this weekend.

Comment

how did they maintain the floor pedals with the V8 swap?

Comment

Originally posted by John S View Post
          how did they maintain the floor pedals with the V8 swap?

John,
          Since this is the first m201 that I looked at, I am not real sure what the pedal setup should look like. I will take pictures and post them of the set up as it exists now, but have nothing to compare to.

I did get the truck to the house this weekend, everythign went as planned, and as well as I could hope for, so I am happy, and excited to get started on the truck.

Comment

I got the truck to the house last week, and have started a little clean up on it. I was surprised at how good of shape the body is in on the truck,. Everything appears to be operational at this point, other than the heater, and the winch. The PO disconnected the winch when he installed a factory rebuilt transmission, so I will need to figure out how to hook it back up.

I have upladed a few more pictures, and would love any comments or advice that y'all can give me.

Donnie

http://s1282.beta.photobucket.com/us...31797555088124

Comment

grille

just curious, what's the big cooler mounted to the radiator? does it have an automatic and they left the clutch pedal for looks? v8 and power steering, very cool, the two things m37's need most.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Ziegler View Post
                just curious, what's the big cooler mounted to the radiator? does it have an automatic and they left the clutch pedal for looks? v8 and power steering, very cool, the two things m37's need most.
                Matthew,
                The cooler up front is an oil cooler that the PO added when he did the V8 swap. Most of his time was spent idling around the farm at low speeds, and felt the extra cooling was a good idea. I do not like the way it looks there, nor do I feel real good about having it exposed there, so I will probably either remove it, or relocate it in the long run. It still has a manual transmission in it.
                Donnie

Comment

I am Making Progress

I have been able to spend some time on the 201, and while I have found a few issues, things are coming along decently. When I went to engage the 4WD, the locking hub on the passengers side broke on me, so I will need to replace the locking hubs - but first to figure out what axle I have, and what hubs I need. Thoughts on hub choice?

The more difficult issue for me to figure out is that the previous owner obviously put a 318 in the truck; as such, the PTO shaft will not clear the bell housing, so I have yet to figure out a way to hook up the winch. I am stumped on this one, and would love any thoughts/suggestions that anyone might have.

This weekend I am working on getting the lights fully functional, and the windshield wipers, so that I can get the truck inspected and on the road. Thus far, all of my driving has been around the farm. The truck is running and driving amazingly well, especially considering the purchase price - I am as pleased as I can be, and am really enjoying the truck. I hope to have it ready to drive back and forth to work when the weather gets a little warmer.

Comment

hubs and winch.

There are quite a few hubs available for your truck, I had superwinch on my m37 until I managed to break one, after which I was told they are no longer made. warn hubs for these trucks model m13 are super desirable and expensive if you can find them, that in mind I bought a set of selectros, well made, not super expensive, around $300 two years ago. Also they look retro same vintage as the truck. as far as pto.'s go, I belive someone on here has run one with a pto powered hydraulic pump and hydraulic motor, might be worth looking into.

Comment

There are 2 "on/off" switches here that I have yet to determine what they go to. When it warms up a little, I intend to get out and chase the wires to see where they leed to, but did not know if someone might have some suggestions. There is also a hole in the dash I was wondering if someone might be able to give me some ideas as to what it was for.

Thanks for the help!
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have one blackout light that is rusted out inside - can I replace the insides, or do I need to replace the whole housing? If so, does anyone know where I can get them, or part numbers?

I need to replace this lockout hub - I am figuring I might as well replace both at the same time.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Some Advice

John at Midwest Military has 'em. www.midwestmil.com he also has the Gamma-Goat lense's.

Comment

Working...
                          X