overhauld old style lever action shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overhauld old style lever action shocks

I am in the process of restoring a WC12 which uses this old style of shock absorber. I am interested in an internal inspection and possibly overhauling them. I have referred to the service manual and it mentions the need for a special tool to unscrew the end caps- of course such tool is not easily located. I am interested to know of a substitute method for removing these screw off end-caps and once this is done what should I pay attention to and is this a difficult task?

Thanks in advance

Never seen it done

These shocks are so common, and so reliable, thank I've never had to do more that clean and fill them, maybe fit new bushes.

If you have removed a shock, cleaned it, filled it up at the fill port using shock fluid, worked it a few times, and it isn't performing properly I'd retire it.

By all means make up a fitment for unscrewing the end caps but get some spare shocks and practice with them. Front and rear, half and 3/4ton have some different part numbers which may indicate different orifice settings inside.

Comment

Knee action shocks

Did the massage on my shocks--drain, work, refill-- and after refilling found two had leaks at the shaft. Now I'm looking for hydraulic repair places closeby, since John Bizal says they should be able to be done by a place that does hyd. rams.
      Apple Hydraulics back east does them for something like $175-$200 each,
      But a west coast repair shop is what I need.
      Kits not available anywhere.

Comment

Apple does good work and has a fast turnaround. I would not be deterred simply because you have to mail or otherwise send it to the east coast.
        I just had them sleeve my MC and 4 WC's.

Comment

Thanks Dave

I am leaning that direction. Out here I get blank looks when asking about shock rebuilds. At my exalted age of 53, I have found its usually best to pays the money and the trouble goes away.
          -And they work perfectly, of course.

Comment

Working...
          X