No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like you have plenty of anchoring points for a heat shield around it.

Comment

• 1941 Dodge Carryall for sale

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-Dodge-W...m=272369571125

Be interesting to see what this one goes for. Right now it has 8 bids and has only reached about 800.oo.

Had the truck out on its first SAR mission last night. Got to go down one road that no one else figured a truck would fit. Made a wrong turn and did drive down one trail but managed to turn around. It was entertaining.

I am taking a tracking course, lot of history as I have been fighting for changes for years, got tired of it and went my own way. Last course was 8 years ago. I was pleased to find the course is now what I said it should be. Almost a template. Off to bed, I only got 3 hrs sleep last night.

Bruce

Comment

• That eBay truck is a friend of mine's. Was...
        It was also recovered along with a WC53, and a WC63 from the Island off the Coast of Washington and was part of a logging company back in the late 40's through early '70s. The WC53 is going to end up a resto-mod like many in this thread.

Also, this photo here just goes to show how really hard it is to find a truck with a nice straight gate. War wasn't even over and someone had already "personalized" it.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Good one Alex

Well I have an article written , next I need some photos and do a quick edit. After that figure out how to get it to the PWA.
          This may be of interest, jump to the 10.18 minute mark and you will see some vehicles up in the Yukon - one is a 6x6. Bet you this guy knows where some military stuff is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjLB9bS67R0
          The rear dana 70 axle bolts backed off again. I cleaned them , torqued them and there was a dab of red Loctite on the threads before they were torqued. I wonder how long that will last.
          Taking the truck out tomorrow and am doing some trail work. I get to air down. I will see how 18psi works for traction.

take care
          Bruce

Comment

• 138 km tire test

Just got back from a callout. Drove 68.5 kms on a twisty road that motorcyclists come up this way just to ride on it. The road is smooth, a few cracks here and there, is not banked much and has a few straight stretches. The Toyos are noisier than the XZLs. The truck tends to wander a bit more and follow cracks and what not in the road. I do not know if this is because the Toyos are wider, have less plys in the sidewall or because the XZLs ran at higher pressure. The tires were at 30psi going out and maximum pressure of 35 psi coming home. Not much difference except maybe the truck was not working as hard and that is a "maybe" One thing I really notice is the truck has some weird vibrations and harmonics it never had with the XZLs. This is very noticable in 5th gear. At some point I may weigh each tire and rim combination and let you know the weight differences.
            Because of the callout I will attempt to move the bush time to tomorrow and drive some challenging terrain. We will see how the truck does on the steeper slopes. I mentioned in an earlier post that I got the Carryall stuck. This was mostly due to not being able to air down on my old tires. I was in a different vehicle this weekend. This thing has never got stuck except in deep snow. This truck also got stuck in the same spot as the Carryall and the tires were aired down. It took about a dozen approaches before Graham found a line and got through. He had no difficulty on the return trip in the same spot.

Take care out there.
            Bruce

Comment

• Another WC 53

Here's another Carryall up for auction on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272386926432...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks pretty rusty but most everything is there, even the coveted lower gate.
              '47 WDX
              '49 B-1 PW
              1970 Dodge Cornet
              1998 2500 SLT 12 Valve Cummins

Comment

• Originally posted by ole henry View Post
                Here's another Carryall up for auction on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272386926432...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks pretty rusty but most everything is there, even the coveted lower gate.
                That is the same guy as the 1/2 ton that was sold recently. He also sold WC63. He has a beautiful Diamond T that he is working on. This is a very complete truck and he seriously has lots of good parts that could come with it. If it was on the east coast I would have bought it from him before he even had a chance to put it on eBay.

Comment

• Another WC 53

Ya he's relatively close, me residing in central Montana. I have a WC 53, in slightly better condition, with the exception of the rear lower gate. I just keep thinking of grabbing it to have, possibly for it's trade value for sheet metal work towards my current WC 53. That's the area I lack the skills and equipment necessary to ensure the body last for generations to come.

I am impressed with your and Bruce's' projects. Did you buy chance save the CNC program for the 4 Link suspension you created?

I also seen Bruce recently commented on his choice of the 4BT vs the ISB 170. Weighing out all the possibilities and options, I'm still undecided.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the inspiration.
                  '47 WDX
                  '49 B-1 PW
                  1970 Dodge Cornet
                  1998 2500 SLT 12 Valve Cummins

Comment

• Originally posted by ole henry View Post

I am impressed with your and Bruce's' projects. Did you buy chance save the CNC program for the 4 Link suspension you created?

I also seen Bruce recently commented on his choice of the 4BT vs the ISB 170. Weighing out all the possibilities and options, I'm still undecided.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the inspiration.
                    Thanks for the kind words! I have the suspension layout numbers, and some of the brackets are buried somewhere but there was modification to parts after they were cut and I honestly can't even remember exactly what was done. I can share some screen shots of the 4 link numbers but when it comes to the cutting code that I don't think would do anybody much good unless they wanted to try and figure out what I did. The towers I believe would work for most however. They reuse a few of the factory holes from the front knee shocks and such. It requires cross over steering, and a reverse rotation GM Saginaw box with a Wagoneer pitman arm. Also, will only work with a driver's side front axle differential due to the tracbar setup.

As for the 4bt vs ISB... 4bt is a way easier install, however the ISB efficiency, power, and torque numbers, along with smoothness and quitness may or may not be worth all this extra effort. I want to be able to shag the Airstream camper my wife is working on over the Appalachians and never fall off of 60 mph on the I-64 Afton Mountain pass, while running a 38" - 41" radial tire... Might be high hopes, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.. err mountain.

Still slowly working on this thing though...

Got the AC unit crammed back under the dash... mostly. Brackets are temp mounted. I'm going to buck a few solid rivets from the front of the firewall to hold the firewall side of the brackets in place. The whole end of the evaporator housing was busted when I got it, so thats the reason for that funky sheetmetal repair. Way stronger now!

Comment

Well we are going to hit a landmark today. 500 thousand peeks, a half a million views, it may not be earth shattering but it is Carryall rattling . Speaking of rattles my carryall does not do that, none, zip in that department. The rear suspension does have a unique sound on occasion. I seldom hear it while driving but if I grab the rear bumper and bounce the truck a bit I can hear it. The sound is hard to describe, it is not a squeak or a clunk or even a click and the only other vehicle that makes the same sound is a Bronco. But it has coils and a triangle four bar set up.
                      Oil temp guage - Summit does not drop ship to Canada, they were the best source for a SW oil temp sender. I tracked one down on Ebay and managed to get it to my door for around fifty bucks. The local shops both came in at $135.00. I will attempt to get it installed over the next few days and report back on what temp the oil is running at. At present the gauge is pegged and over 280 degrees, once the engine has warmed up. Something is not quite right with that number.
                      Got a teeny oil leak showing up on my skid plate. No idea what the source is. Considering there are two mating surfaces on the trannie, two more on the Black Box and five more on the NP205 plus numerous bolts, pipe plugs, a PTO cover, four shifter seals and three out put yokes a bit of weeping is not out of line. I have a sight tube on the NP205, and the trainee has an oil level plug so keeping an eye on the oil levels is not difficult. The black box is problematic, there is no simple way to check the oil level.
                      I purchased some 3M Work Tunes and have been driving with them on. They are big, bulky, knock the noise level down and the FM works much better than the AM. I have not plugged them in to my two way radio to see how that option works but will get around to it at some point.
                      Picked up some air down devices that fit on the valve stem. They work ok but it pays to check the pressure once they stop dumping air. There is one that seems to keep dumping air and quits at random pressures.
                      I have two big honking tow hooks that were given to me by a gentleman that has connections to "The Ultimate Adventure" they will get mounted for the time being and something with finess will replace them at a later date.
                      Alex I think what you have done with the air unit is smart. I have the full glove box, but would give it up just to have the heater up higher and the air conditioning. Also I am going to have some louvers in the cowl and pick up the air for the heater from an outside source. At present there is too much water vapour created from just heating the inside air.
                      And here is a gift for someone with a Carryall.
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-WC-Car...JX8a1p&vxp=mtr
                      I was going to purchase it and give it away as a prize on this board but that will have to wait for a little while. You have one day left, and it is in good shape and priced fairly.
                      take care out there
                      Bruce

Comment

WOW...half a million views! I haven't posted for a while so just wanted to say everyone has been doing a great job on keeping this forum going. Also, Bruce and Alex I’m simply amazed at your craftsmanship and what you have each done in building your Carryalls. I’ve been enjoying my truck this summer by driving it and taking it to car shows. It's won a number of trophies and even pulled a 1902 Haynes Apperson car in a parade. The last trophy and picture was from "The Bridges of Madison County" car show in Winterset, Iowa. It is unique and fits the ruggedness of the Carryall.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Gots me a wee problem

Nice pictures Gary, good of you to post them. That is quite the contrast in the paint colour from one picture to the next. Looks great.
                          Had my Carryall out in the slop on Monday. A buddy and I had just completed a 2 day SAR course and he had taken Monday off. When we left it was not raining but it was raining heavily enough that I was wet to the skin and that was only from getting out once in awhile to look at stuff, put the hubs in, air down and stop for a pee. The truck rides pretty decent at 15 lbs psi but I think the XZLs ran and felt better at 12 lbs psi. Too bad you can not air down with tubes and flaps, I would be running the XZLs if that was possible.
                          Now here is my problem
                          This happened three times on this trip. The truck loses all power and dies or comes close to stalling. It only happens on up hill climbs and to date the hills are bumpy. Speed is slow and in 1st gear low range. The truck fired back up without any more cranking than normal. Fires up faster than our new Honda. The power supply to the injector pump solenoid appears to be good. I have a new ignition switch and the same stall loss of power happened with the old switch. The connection at the pump is tight. I am going to trace the whole circuit and wiggle it while the engine is running. The fuel supply should be good, the tank has a four quart sump and the pick up tube is just off the bottom of the tank. There is a large screen on the end of the tube to prevent small stuff from plugging the tube. An internet search has turned out to be kind of fruitless. If any one has run across this before let me know the solution.
                          getting stuck in the bush or abandoning a vehicle in the remote bush while on a hill is not a concept I find attractive. Backing down a hill with no power and hydro boost brakes is not a safe or attractive thing I would want to attempt.

Thanks

Bruce

I sent off an article- lets see if the boss gets it.

edit: Looking for a low pressure electric fuel guage. I wanted one in the truck to help monitor what the lift pump was doing, wish the truck had one installed on Monday, would have been helpfull.

Comment

• Not mine but this one is prime for an original restoration. Shes purdy.

https://swv.craigslist.org/cto/5837449538.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post
                              Not mine but this one is prime for an original restoration. Shes purdy.

https://swv.craigslist.org/cto/5837449538.html
                              Looks like it's gone now!

Comment

• Here is one in Australia that has just come up. The original before restoration door markings of Alcan Highway might be of interest to the group.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162265934...84.m1555.l2649

Restored and a buy it now price of $40,000 AUD/$30,700 USD.

Comment

Working...
                                X