M-43 What it's top speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-43 What it's top speed?

I have a M-43 Air Force. I want to know if anyone have driven to its top speed? I would think it would be faster because of it used to get the hurt and injured to help. Compare to the M-37. but when i drive it it feels very top heavy. i also don,t know if Air Force M-43 are different than Army ones?
    when it comes to gearing.

The gearing is the same among models.

Wind resistance could be a big factor. How the governor is adjusted will be an issue, but roughly 55 on flat ground with no wind.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Wow not really fast as i thought. what is a good way to get some seed with out really changing the look of the truck? i mean what is the factor of its slowness? I am only looking to go 75MPH so that i am not a road hazard.

Comment

These trucks were not meant for the Interstate. The gearing and engine HP are at fault. Would be a pretty major project to swap the axles, transmission, transfer case and engine. Of course, brakes become the big issue with more speed. It can (and has) been done with enough money and effort. Most choose not to change them from what they are and live with the back roads. Do what your wallet can stand...

Comment

In original form with stock engine and drive train there is no way you can make it go 75.

Comment

well what is the top seed after some mods to the motor and changing the gear? I live in Texas so the seed limited is 65 but every one drives 75, but even if i can get that fast i don't think no one will try to kill me. i have been thinking about drive trans swaps but that would be losing the wheels. Not liking that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas M-43 View Post
              well what is the top seed after some mods to the motor and changing the gear? I live in Texas so the seed limited is 65 but every one drives 75, but even if i can get that fast i don't think no one will try to kill me. i have been thinking about drive trans swaps but that would be losing the wheels. Not liking that idea.
              What is the minimum legal speed?

You have an engine producing about 100 hp. You can't use higher gearing to make it go faster, it does not have the power.

You bought a hippopotamus and you want to run with greyhounds. It ain't going to happen.

Comment

I can only guess at the cost? Many thousands of dollars depending on what components you choose, how much of the work you can do yourself, and lots of time. Just look at what Legacy Power Wagons go for, 100K+. Even if you could do it for half that, you're still talking about a lot of money, at least to me anyway.

I considered doing this myself on my 55 FFPW with a cummins diesel, dana 60 axles, nv4500 transmission, etc. until I really started researching and reading about it. I became convinced that disc brakes, power steering and maybe a 12v upgrade would be it for me. Even these modest upgrades are not an inexpensive proposition either in money or time.

However, if you have the time, money, and inclination, go for it!

Here is an example of a freeway ready Power Wagon...

http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/wwwbo...s/4220066.html

I can only imagine what this cost?

Comment

M37 speed

I can do 68 tops. BUT I have a Hercules diesel 4.89 gears and 38" tires. Don't go this speed unless you have disc brakes

Comment

I live in Texas also but I drive the farm roads or the access roads alongside the highway. No way would I get on the interstate. My truck is a stock M37 and I don't push it past 50 mph. It's a very reliable vehicle if you stick to the original design limits (unless you start doing mods then it's whatever your wallet can tolerate).

Comment

Thank you y'all this has been very used full. I just got my truck so i was see where i go from there. i was planing on putting a B4 Cummins and trans and change some gears. But it really looks l going for too much for such a big box. i driven old cars and truck my entire life so mods and driving with bad brakes is no big deal. That is saying a lot since i only 32 and the news car i ever own was and 1983 cutless. I really don't like trailer queen. but if i need to get there its going to be that or planed day in advance to get there. i just might to see more of the scenery. thank you

Comment

Do you know what axle gears you have? If you have 5.89's changing to 4.89's will help. There also used to be available a Denman overdrive unit that mounts to the rear of the transfer case, I am not sure if you can still get them. None of this will get you to 75 mph, but I have a buddy in Fort Worth who has 4.89's and a Denman on his Power Wagon and it will cruise comfortably at 60 to 65 mph down the highway, which is fast enough to not be a hazard.

Comment

I see a few posts saying that 55MPH is the top speed. Thats true and should only be held at the speed for a very short time. That lump of iron under the hood has a long piston travel and at 55 MPH you are inviting one of them to try and leave the truck via the crank case.

The truck is better suited for agriculture work with the way its geared down. Plus I would nor want to try and stop the thing in a big hurry from even close to 55 MPH with the standard drum brakes that are marginal even when in top working order.
                          It is not by any means a performance vehicle.
                          It has a lot of GRUNT but no ZIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
                            It has a lot of GRUNT but no ZIP.
                            This.

Comment

That is why i was looking to do a motor swap. Because a flat head 6 just dose not have the power. however then i have transmission, gears, transfer case, brakes, and beefing up the truck to hold the new B4 motor. But to go fast is not what i am looking for i have cars for that. Its so i can take the truck out to car shows so people can see this old truck. It just by it self needs a heavy duty trailer to load it and move it. Plus another heavy truck to tow it. which is sounding cheaper than to have it drive it self there.

Comment

Working...
                              X