m37 steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m37 steering box

The steering box in my m37 is well worn at best, I'm on the fence about rebuilding, replacing mine or possibly upgrading to power steering. My truck is by no means easy to steer, I'm wondering how much of this is due to the poor condition of the stock box, I'm thinking a rebuilt or new one may improve things. anyone have any suggestions?

Can you offer some comment on what you mean by not easy to steer?

What if you disconnect the steering gear from the rest of the system. Try turning each steering knuckle separately, after disconnecting the tie rods. See if you can localize the problem.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

steer

the truck takes considerablt more effort to steer than other manual steering trucks I've driven. There's a lot of play in the steering box, I did overhaul the steering knuckles to the specs provided in the tm a few years ago so I doubt that's causing any difficulty. I think the box is beyond worn in and well on it's way to worn out. the truck is easy enough to steer while moving down the road although there's a fair amount of play.

Comment

Given what you say, then it seems your conclusion in the first post is right; time to replace or rebuild.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

For my personal use; I'd NEVER rebuild or replace the original box. Power steering is a relatively easy installation, and is for sure one of the best upgrades that you could do if it is done smartly using top quality components. Do it right, do it once, and enjoy.

Comment

power steering

I'm leaning towards power steering myself. Is it possible to convert to power and utilize the stock horn button? I might be able to make a nylon insulator with a brass tubing band to go on the steering shaft and some kind of pickup or brush?

Comment

Oh sure you can keep the horn button if you wish to do the mods. Personally, for me it isn't worth the trouble, but that decision is up to each individual.

Comment

Working...
              X