engine conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine conversion question

Today I looked at and test drove an M37 that I have considered buying. It's a 1951 that was owned by the military in the San Francisco bay area (there was some blue paint underneath in several areas--maybe an Air Force vehicle?) until 1978 when it was purchased by an individual. It's currently on it's third owner and has been in Texas and Colorado (currently in Colorado) for quite a few years.

The engine has been changed to a 1961 vintage GMC straight six. Did the military ever do that? From the little I've read, the long stroke caused the original Dodge engine to be prone to breaking connecting rods. I suspect that may have caused the need for an engine change.

The GMC engine is longer than the original Dodge engine--and the fan has an extension--so the installer had to cut a notch in the firewall to install the GMC engine. I couldn't tell what else had been modified.

The truck runs good; the engine runs great; the brakes work well; shifting took a little getting used to.
    Should I stay away from one modified like this? What does the engine change do to the value? There's basically no rust on the truck. All-in-all, it's in very good condition. If I were to buy it, it would be without the snow plow.

This is the first M37 I've driven. I'd appreciate any input from those of you who are more experienced than myself with the Powerwagon.

link to photos:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1094236...117488/1951M37

Thanks,

paul moore
    colorado springs

Lots of people do engine conversions. Many more use V8's than 6-cylinders, but that does not mean this truck is bad. It is a good looking truck and apparently it works well. If the craftsmanship is honorable you can be proud of it.

As for affecting value, as you can guess...among those who favor originality, it is worth less. Among those inclined to do engine swaps, it's just fine.

An important question, do you like the truck?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Hi Gordon,

Thanks so much for your input. The craftsmanship is the question mark. The "notch" that was cut in the firewall to install the GMC engine wasn't done very well. I would rather have either a modified M37 that was done in a way to make it more driveable, or one that is original to retain it's historical value.

Thanks for the input,

Paul Moore

Comment

Working...
      X