Going farther than I intended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going farther than I intended

I am now doing a frame off restoration, the bed and cab are off. I also have a 351 Windsor at my disposal and have a few sources that think it will be doable to mount it into my M37. I have been looking at some websites and the Ford engines seam to be a good fit into jeep with narrow frames so my next step is to pull the Windsor and build some engine mounts for it. I just need it to get above freezing and the engine is mine.

It will be fun to learn more about your project.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Some Progress Pic's

[ATTACH]7635[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7636[/ATTACH]

Comment

ZF transmission

Anyone try to install a ZF transmission into an M37?

Comment

Yes,
          Cabell Garbee did that with his, behind a 4BTA Cummins. I am planning to do the same with my M37 project, which I just started on.
          You can find Cabell's page over on the M37 forum.

Comment

My new engine

Here it is, the first picture is of the truck the second one it the engine being pulled the transmission got stuck between the engine mounts.
            Attached Files

Comment

I had the same problem, going farther than I originally intended. In my case it was realizing the thick asphalt undercoating that the whole underside was coated with was done over a lot of dirt and was separating and letting water underneath trapping it in there. Not a problem in Az where the truck was, but a big problem in Texas where it's more humid.

Once I decided the frame and whole underside had to be blasted to metal, there was no point in not going all the way and redoing every inch.

Good luck.

Comment

Rear drive shaft

Pulled the rear drive shaft today, all the bolts on the transfer case end were loose all the threads were flattened I am just glad I did not loose it while I was driving around last summer.

Comment

Transmission Find

Found a 2005 recently rebuild five speed transmission with a power take off already attached and a drive line emergency brake so parts are coming together.

Comment

Rolling Chassis

Down to a rolling chassis I am ready to part with the original engine trans and power takeoff if someone is looking.
                    Attached Files

Comment

pto

If your willing to part it, I'm interested in the pto.

Comment

I think so, I am dropping in a new transmission and I do not see the PTO working on the new transmission, I was going to look at it tonight but I went home sick. The PTO did work I tried it once the seals are shot and the shift pin or dowel that goes through the PTO needs to be replaced that is where most of the leak's were comming from.

Comment

pto

still interested, I have a winch and I'd rebuild the pto before putting it in the truck anyway. Let me know your price,e mail me if you want at mattrziegler@gmail.com. thanks, Matt

Comment

Sandblasting

The blast cabinet I bought a couple of months ago is up and running it works nicely I am currently taking paint off of some air registers from the house but I striped a small part from the truck and it came our real nice I can hardly wait to get the frame striped and painted to see how it will look. I have another week until I pick up a new transmission for the truck, a nice five speed with overdrive so the truck should comfortably do sixty. With a little luck the frame will be getting blasted this month.

Comment

Finally after some personal issues last winter I am back working on the frame, it is almost ready for paint and the engine and transmission is ready to dry fit just need to rig up something to suspend the engine over the truck not sure if we will just mount a chain hoist in the rafters or use a different setup. Had an interesting thought and it is probably completely out in left field but I wanted to put it out there. Has anyone ever run the vacuum wipers off of pressure, very low pressure of course but with the V8 conversion I should have room to mount a small compressor to the motor for a air horn and was thinking if the wipers work on low vacuum they should work on low pressure.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X