Drive Shaft / U-Joint Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft / U-Joint Issues

This is my first post in this forum. I currently have a 1952 M-43.

So, last week I broke the coupler connecting the rear drive shaft the the rear axel. I called vintage power wagons and they overnighted me the new parts and I installed them the next day. I needed them because I was planning a 100 trip to the Carlisle Truck Nationals in PA. On my ride there The coupler at the other end of the shaft (connection to the transfer case) broke. I removed the entire shaft as it is now bent and made it the rest of the way, and luckily home afterwards (taking 2nd Place at the show).

My question is, can our universal joints be purchased from Autozone/Advanced/NAPA? If so does someone have a part number? Secondly, are there any options for rear drive shafts? Is a custom made one a better option, or do the original ones rarely have issues?

I'd check the PIF over on the PW site, it looks like they are the same U-joints as the PW/M37 but different shafts. It has a listing of PNs for those joints. I know the joints can be bought from other suppliers but are not usually stocked, so they will probably have to order them for you too.

The driveshaft issue however is harder. The early Dodge's use Detroit style U-joints. I was unable to find anyone still making the yokes for that style of joint, so no aftermarket supplier will be able to build one unless you can source them the end yokes, probably from an existing shaft and even then.

When I tried to get one built or modified for my truck the shop also had no way to balance the shaft since they didn't have fixtures to hold the Detroit style joints in place, and weren't going to purchase one just for me. There is a conversion joint for the large Detroit joint to a Spicer joint, but the smaller 5160 Detroit used in the front and rear driveshafts has no such conversion joint.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I guess vintagepowerwagons.com is the way to go. They were great to deal with the first time so I guess I'll be going back to them.

Comment

Have vintage send you a used shaft with new joints.
        TGP
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Moog, Napa, precision or neapco 305. Ablinn on eBay has em for about 20 bucks a pop too.

Comment

I just went through this myself.

Took a bit of searching even with the correct NAPA numbers, but I found them in stock. As previously said...NAPA 305, the jackshaft to the transfer case is NAPA 304

Fit in my truck perfectly, now I will do my fronts to ensure this never happens to me again!

Comment

Working...
            X