M-37 engine or engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-37 engine or engine swap

Just purchased a 1951 M-37. The engine is with it but bad (froze and cracked inside cylinder). I'm looking for another 230 engine or swap out the flathead for a 318 small block. I really don't mind the flathead but having difficulty finding one. My question is will the 318 bell housing match up to my stock trans. Motor mount fabrication won't be a problem. Do not want to chop up the firewall. And since its a dodge I would like to keep it a Dodge. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Your location could possible help in locating a engine.
    The V8 will require a matching transmission. The stock Trans.
    Will not bolt up.
    Do a search here for lot's of information as this swap has been done
    Numerous times.

And Welcome!
    TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Clyde,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Dodge M37's. Yes filing out your profile with location, etc.. will help us in answering questions and providing assistance.

You might want to read over Ray's page: 1952-1968 M37 Small Block V8 Conversion. He's no longer building a lot of his products but provides a great deal of information and detail.

Welcome to the site,
      Will
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I have a 218 with an M-37 trans available in the St.Louis area, if you're interested? Doug

Comment

Just found 4 230's local and a few 218. How can you visibly tell the difference between the 218 and 230?

Comment

Clyde,

See if this helps: Flathead Six Engine Numbers

Will
            I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

[QUOTE=How can you visibly tell the difference between the 218 and 230?[/QUOTE]

From what I understand and I could be wrong but you can't.
              Only way to know is come up with some numbers or measure the bore and stroke.
              Also need to pay attention to the crankshaft flange were the flywheel bolts.
              Some shaft's have fewer or different mount holes.

I'm sure someone will chime in that knows for sure.
              There are many trucks running the 218 with no problems power wise.
              TGP
              WDX & Misc. Pics.
              http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
              "47" Dodge WDX WW
              "52" Dodge M-37 WW
              "54" Willys M38A1
              "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
              "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
              "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
              "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
              "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
              "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Thanks all! Going to check out a few engines maybe this weekend if the deep freeze in Northeast Pennsylvania lets up. Really want to stay with the flathead. I have re powered many vehicles I have a 1949 Studebaker with a 383 Mopar in it, so I know I'm capable of doing it. But I really like the flathead and am not up to all the work of the re power if I don't really have too. Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age. And with the gearing of this truck I can probably use a 4 cly Wisconsin.....lol!

Comment

Information from Kempner Power Wagon Museum Web Site

Kempner Power Wagon Museum http://www.texaspowerwagon.com

DETERMINING ENGINE DISPLACEMENT

Remove the pipe plug over the number six piston. Insert a straight rod, wood or metal, and let it rest on top of the piston. Use the movement of this rod to indicate piston position and to measure piston travel. Use the starting hand crank and turn the crankshaft until the piston reaches the bottom of its stroke - bottom dead center. (If your truck did not come with a hand crank, you can turn the crankshaft by applying effort to the fan blades with the spark plugs removed.) Mark the rod. Then continue to turn the crankshaft the same direction until the piston reaches the top of its stroke - top dead center. Again, mark the rod. Remove the rod and measure the distance between the marks. That is the stroke. The stroke for the 217.76 cid engine is 4 3/8". The stroke for the 230.2 cid engine is 4 5/8". The bore for both is 3 1/4". Replace the pipe plug. The pipe plug is also removed to set timing.

Comment

So if I put the 230 crank and rods in the 218 it makes it a 230? I know the bore is the same. Maybe not even the rods just the crank?

Comment

Ask an engine builder...

I would guess there is a lot more to it than that. The stock 230 has several different horsepower ratings through the years.

Some of that has to do with the RPM at which the horsepower was measured. The industrial version (fork lift) engine has different power characteristics. So does the constant speed version (generators, marine, and irrigation). The expected load requirement may affect the design of the engine. Even the car vs. truck application may matter.

In all these situations, cam grind may be a factor.

Just my thoughts...

Comment

The 218 and 230 bore is the same from all the research I did. The stroke on the 230 is longer. 218 is 4 3/8. The 230 is 4 5/8. I have a complete 230 bad block. So if I put the crank and cam in the 218 it should theoreticaly be a 230.

Comment

230 motor

Clyde, I know of a junkyard right near you with a few 230 Chrysler powered irrigation pumps, at least 4 or 5, the yard is kucharskis junk yard and I believe it's in Hackettstown new jersey, if not panther valley. I recently bought a 226 ford flathead off of them with trans and pto for $175 so the prices are reasonable.

Comment

Thank you Matt. I found an engine from a member on here. The only thing that would scare me about an iragation pump would be that it probably had a million hours on it. They probably run day and night! But again thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
                              Clyde,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Dodge M37's. Yes filing out your profile with location, etc.. will help us in answering questions and providing assistance.

You might want to read over Ray's page: 1952-1968 M37 Small Block V8 Conversion. He's no longer building a lot of his products but provides a great deal of information and detail.

Welcome to the site,
                              Will
                              love to read that but its a dead link
                              what is rays name?

Comment

Working...
                              X