Grease on Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease on Brakes

This is my first official post since making my first purchase of my 1954 M37 in October of last year. So here it goes, I am digging into the brakes on the M37 as my brakes went from sufficient to nothing in just the few miles that I’ve been able to drive it. I’ve noticed that I have fluid which seems to drain onto my garage floor from behind the brake shield on the inside of the front wheels.
    I checked the master cylinder and found it ¾ dry. Therefore I’m losing fluid.

I have already gotten parts to change the master cylinder and front wheel cylinders. Along with new hoses. My concern is, when I took the wheels off, the brakes and inside of the wheel budd was very greasy. This could be dirt mixed with lots of brake fluid or it could be grease

I’ve done brakes before and grease on brakes is a bad thing from what I know. Am I looking at a bigger problem than just loosing brake fluid??

You could have gear lubricant leaking into your brake assembly as a result of a worn seal and/or bushing.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

brakes

I agree with Gordon, probably gear oil, be careful that your new master cylinder isn't one of the chinese made models that are currently on the market as a lot of people seem to have problems with them. also while your at it, it's a good idea to change the frame to axle and front axle flexible hoses, I had one of mine let go kind of scary. If you wind up doing seals( a good idea) make sure to get modern neoprene seals, double lip if you can find them, stainless redi sleves may also be needed. I had a vendor sell me original leather seals for my truck, they are absolutely worthless, cardboard would do a better job.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
        You could have gear lubricant leaking into your brake assembly as a result of a worn seal and/or bushing.
        This is my guess. I had this exact issue on my '52 M-37 when I got it.

Not too difficult of a repair, good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X