No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just checked my fairly original carryall of which I am dismantling. My hole has a rubber grommet and original wires running through it. Hope this helps..........John

Comment

• Excellent

Thanks for that John. Every few days or so I get an hour or two to play with the wiring. The wires from the ignition are hanging down and in the way of other wires. If I can tuck them out of the way it will help. That hole looks perfect to run the new wires through. Some one at the factory was thinking.
      I notice some folks have a drop panel that they mount the gauges in. Doing it this way will save a few frustrating hours of reaching back and trying to attach wires and nuts that you can not see because all that stuff is on the back of the dash.

No work on the Carryall today, I was out in the trash truck getting wood. It is a type of Cypress, real high BTUs. I am too sore to go out and play.

once again thanks

Bruce

Comment

• Here is another one for sale. Hidden in the depths of the inter webs.

http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/4679321779.html
        1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• An old trick, but it works

When running multiple wires that you may need to adjust or add to at a later date, this trick helps keep you organized. Wooden clothes pegs have all sorts of automotive uses.

And here is a rats nest that needs to be cleaned up with a few hundred ties
          Attached Files

Comment

• Sorta , almost, a tiny bit, kind of, neater mess

Left enough slack in each wire that I can deal with them individually if need be.
            Far from finished, just cleaned up a small area. I found the ground wires would get in the way when I connected new wires to the fuse panel.
            Attached Files

Comment

• I am envious of your progress Bruce! It all looks amazing! I've been tinkering around with my anti-wrap bar and slowly working out the details in my transmission cover and designing my shifter. I need to add some heat to my garage this winter so that I can get some things done out there once it finally cools off around here. I am not going to get to touch my machine the rest of this week.

Also, Saw FURY in the theaters the other night. Totally re-motivated me to get back at working on this truck. Also visited the USS North Carolina the weekend before. Its been a heavy WWII kinda life lately.

Slowly moving forward with my transmission cover.

And an overall view of my project because sometimes I forget what the heck I am building.
              1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• People are making progress and the trucks are looking good.
                Bruce, what brand paint did you go with? I really need to get some primer on before the light rust takes off. I'm not sure who to go with and only want to do it once.
                I've been working on my window frame mounts and fabricating a windshield wiper system. Trying to make an opposing wiper set up. Almost there, but the time!

Comment

• Originally posted by vtunderground53 View Post
                  I've been working on my window frame mounts and fabricating a windshield wiper system. Trying to make an opposing wiper set up. Almost there, but the time!
                  I'd be curious to see what you come up with for the wipers, mine aren't as stealth as most would like but it allowed for some interesting touches and should be plenty strong. I also eventually changed it to an opposing system, just makes more sense with the windshield design, though I thought I had goofed that up on re-assembly.

Comment

• Paint

For primer i used some old stock PPG epoxy primer. Stuff is lead and isocynate free. If you find automotive paint too expensive then try looking at marine paint. There are some epoxy marine primers that have a high zinc content, are reasonably priced and work as well as automotive paint. On the frame I would highly recommend an epoxy paint as the base coat.
                    I would get any of the bare metal in primer and not get bent out of shape over the top coat. Hit it with sealer at a later date and you are good to go on pretty much any top coat.

Bruce

Comment

• Thanks Bruce. I think Desoto is using the PPG too. I was leaning that way or Southern Poly. I haven't sprayed anything in twenty years or so and I'm not familiar with the epoxies so much. I just want to do the body in something right now for the rust so I can take it outside without it getting wrecked. After I drive it around a while to see what works or doesn't I hope to tear it down again and do a complete paint job. I also have another motor project I may swap in at that time. I'll have to look at the marine paint, hadn't known that.
                      I couldn't come up with a simple option for the power wipers that was low profile enough to hide. I'll probably have something like a map light/stowage tray in the center visor area to cover it. I'm at the point of "just get it on the road" and finish/change what I don't like later. For marital harmony if nothing else. These projects take an enormous amount of time.

Comment

• I am using PPG, though that was more about access then preference. There is a PPG dealer nearby, and I wanted somewhere I could go to help me pick out the right products and stuff. I don't have any real complaints other than there are so many different PPG products you almost need someone to help, but their epoxy is very forgiving and seems durable.

I did the same thing for my wipers, built an overhead console with some aux switches, the dome lights and a backup monitor (gasp).

I know what you mean about on the road though. I'm not married but for piece of mind this thing needs to be done enough it doesn't own my garage (and part of my house), or almost all of my free time and money. Not that I don't enjoy it, but it's quickly becoming not a hobby.

Comment

• Looks like we missed one.

I wish there was a craigslist archive, I wanted to at least read more than this.
                          Nice to know , pictures,price,condition

I spent several hours getting all the dumb bolts to line up on one fender, Just got them all started and had to quit to do domestic stuff

COLOR="Cyan"]1943 dodge wc53 carryall
                          1 day ago ... im just seeing if anybody is interested in this. i have an old dodge ww2 1943 wc53 carryall thats been sitting since 1987 and wanted to know ...
                          kpr.craigslist.org/cto/4743474465.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post
                            Here is another one for sale. Hidden in the depths of the inter webs.

http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/4679321779.html
                            This is the one owned by Mark and can be seen for a very short moment on the 1st episode of the TV show Redwood Kings as it is being stored in their back lot where he works. It was the 1st one I looked at when searching for Carryalls. It is ROUGH in my opinion- the rust is bad - the worst one I have seen in person. I don't think he will get what he is asking, but it is a starting point for someone that does not have one.
                            http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/...psa1c9c231.jpg
                            http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3357b7d3.jpg

Comment

• Mine was pretty bad like that. Its no fun starting out having to basically rebuild EVERYTHING. It seemed like a good idea at the time....

Comment

• Originally posted by vtunderground53 View Post
                                Mine was pretty bad like that. Its no fun starting out having to basically rebuild EVERYTHING. It seemed like a good idea at the time....
                                Yea, penny wise and pound foolish. Only advantage is I don't feel too guilty when I modify things from stock. If I have to rebuild/replace it anyway might as well build it my way.

Comment

Working...
                                X