Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets Help the Kid out

Hello Guys,

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Bart Gaffney from Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. I belong to www.forwardlook.net and own a 1959 Dodge 2dr ht. I write you today on behalf of one of our members. 16 year old High School Sophomore Christian Morgan of McComb Mississippi.

Christan is the owner of a 1958 Plymouth, powered by a 230 Flathead 6 cyl engine and a standard shift "3 on the tree".

Christan is not very mechanically inclined (yet), and lacks some knowledge base, tools, and resources to work on his engine. Mostly, he needs a little adult guidance and mentoring. He is eager and willing, but his inexperience has been his undoing. He has a broken camshaft, and it is difficult to communicate with him long-distance and over-the-internet to determine the extent of the work that needs to take place. In order to repair his engine, we need someone local that can give us some real feedback and maybe even lend some assistance to Christan.

I have started a thread on our website / forum at www.forwardlook.net . The actual thread can be found here. http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19409&start=1 Let me warn you...its a long thread and getting longer...but it will give you some of the background you need.

...and we have a pledge drive on www.forwardlook.net to raise funds to help Christan find an economical solution to get him up and running. More importantly is for Christan to find a welcome local club member in the southern Mississippi area that can assist him. What better project for a car club to take on, than the mentoring and molding of a young person into this hobby.

I thank you for your time,
    and look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Bart Gaffney aka Bart_59_Dodge @ www.forwardlook.net

Bart,

did you see this one post.
    http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/wwwbo...s/2670779.html

Pieter

Comment

Originally posted by pieter View Post
      Bart,

did you see this one post.
      http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/wwwbo...s/2670779.html

Pieter
      Thanks Pieter...Thank you very much.
      I've been cross posting across a few forums using a shotgun aproach to finding a local contact in the McComb Mississippi area to help Christan out. I didn't know I had a response from this forum.. or the other one, so thanks for the heads up. We need guys that know 6 cyl flatties.

Bart

Comment

Welcome, Bart!

Sounds like a worthy project. McComb is located in an area with a fair sized population density by rural Mississippi standards. I was thinking the young man might be able to get some technical assistance through the McComb School district, possibly a trades class, night school, auto shop class in the area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McComb_School_District

In addition there is a Christian Academy there with some possibility of a knowledgeable and helpful person or persons to give guidance and assistance. It's my experience that folks in that part of the country are very inclined to help other folks, especially a bright young man with some good old fashioned gumption!

In addition Jackson, the capital, is fairly close, a little over an hour's drive. They have a more extensive school system and might also be a source of contact for a helpful mechanic over in McComb.

Somebody gave me a tip many, many years ago: If you ever come to a town and can't locate somebody or something there's a place that always knows what's going on and where to find it: the Police or Sheriff's Dept. I have found that to be true all over America. Nice thing about it is you are there dealing with folks of assumably good moral character who aren't likely to give you a bum steer, unless you're looking for rather indigent cattle.

JimmieD

Comment

Working...
        X