Just a short time ago...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a short time ago...

Not so long ago, in a galaxy not so far away......

My family has always had old pickups in the garage. My Dad's Dad (my paternal Grandad) had a couple that were probably '30's models sitting out near the barn, he drove a old Chevy "work" truck all the time. My Mom's Dad had a beautiful '58 or '59 Chevy then traded for a "Brand New" '66 Chevy short box. It is still in the family and can be seen at: http://community.webshots.com/user/oldtruck38

When my brother and I were old enough to drive, I got the first vehicle, as I am 2 yrs older. A second or third hand 1977 Monte Carlo! One bad ride, anyway, along comes my younger brother and he goes for a 1967 Ford stepside. Sweet little truck that he drives through high school, and I later buy from him. It is also still in the family barn viewable at the website above.

How did I get "Dodge Hooked" w/ all the other makes in the mix? Well, when my second child came along it became obvious that my fledgling family could not all ride into town to the movie store, in my old Ford pickup. This was about the same time the 4 door trucks became popular w/ the big 3. So...I started researching old 4 door pickups.

Dodge was pretty much a leader in this production scheme. The military orders of the early '60's caused many of the W200 Crew Cab models to be produced.

To my limited knowledge, outside of special orders (Ford produced a extended/3 door cab for some railroads for example), International was the first production 4 door pickups. There were not many, if any, 4 door 4x4 Internationals made...so I got the Dodge bug! I found the webpage Kris had up back in '98 or so, and have been following ever since.

In May of 2002, I bought my first old Dodge ... 1968 W200 Crew Cab stepside ... from a cattle rancher in Alberqueque, NM. Haven't progressed very much on any kind of reconstruction. I did buy a new wiring harness from Haywire, but haven't had time to install it yet. I'm not sure I would ever do much more than make it safe and comfortable ... maybe someday a paint job, just so my son can drive it to High School.

That's my story and it's still in the making.

I noticed your mention of International 4x4 trucks with the 4 door cab. A good friend of mine bought one of those used in about 1973 or 74. I seem to remember it was mid 60's model. They were fairly common back in Southeastern Ohio where we grew up. They were purchased by many electric utility and gas pipeline companies. In fact, the one he had was from a gas company. It was a tough old truck, but sure was ugly. I always thought the Dodge 4x4 trucks looked better.

Comment

Good looking truck

BERNIE, GOOD LOOKING D100 68 BLUE ONE I LOVED IT. ITS NICE ON YA FARM KEEP HER IN GOOD SHAPE U GOT TO REALIZE WHAT U GOT {rein}

Comment

Great History

I enjoyed your story and had fun admiring all of your trucks and tractor. I have a 1949 Ford 8N, it looks nothing like yours, I'm afraid.

Thanks For Sharing,

Comment

Working...
        X