The New Fenway Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmharris View Post
    Obviously, the details of the terrible accident are lost to time. But, I see no way that a properly seated ring on an undamaged wheel can come loose. Probably, the tire had just been changed and the installer failed to ensure the ring was seated when he inflated the tire. I agree, tire installation on these wheels should probably be left to the pro's. But, I don't think they pose any danger to the Power Wagon owner who is just changing a flat tire or working around them.

I'd be interested in hearing any information to the contrary as we spend a lot of time around these wheels. There are many types of multi-piece wheels and I suspect some of the injuries attributed to Budd wheels were actually caused by other types of wheels.

Anyway, Fenway is a nice looking truck. Good Luck.
    Original rims that are in KNOWN GOOD shape are by far the better option. Bead locks are not street legal in NC, and likely other states as well. The bolts can break at highway speeds, not good. If you are hauling a load, the risk is even greater. Split lock rings were the standard in heavy truck rims for many years. I knew a man that was killed when one came apart on a dump truck, but as mentioned here, it had just been assembled with a new tire installed. It was not double checked and disaster followed. I've heard of folks installing 16.5" tires on a 16" original Budd rim; now that is betting against your own life, and a really stupid move. I wonder how many accidents with Budd's have been because of really stupid moves? They are nothing to play with, but in good condition and done right, are just fine. If you are uneasy, certainly go to a pro.

Bead locks have their place, but you best use them "in their place," and not elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Henry View Post
      Hi Kevin. As a father of 2 boys and 2 girls, I must say I admire the relationship you have with your son. It's admirable that he would take the time to post that comment. He shows his love and his respect for you in a very few words. Good feeling for a father when that happens.
      I may have missed this, but will ask: What kind of tires are those? They are very cool looking. I would suspect they are not a high mile road tire, but they sure look like they would do the job.
      Jerry
      Thanks Jerry. I love that kid. He has been gone from home for 2 years now and is a sophomore up at Wake Forest University.

I think about him everyday.

The tires are Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials. They're actually really smooth on the road. So smooth, in fact, that I considered keeping them and mounting them on my wife's Jeep. But with a strict budget on this build I will have to let them go with the beadlocks.

Comment

After a few distractions...3 weddings in 3 different states in a 10 day period, Charles and I pulled the 251 engine, trans, and transfer case. Lifted the cab off and started steaming the frame. The Mickey Thompson tires and MRW beadlocks have landed safely at their new home in Illinois. Got my old Budds powder coated at a cost of $70 per wheel and $20 per ring.
        Attached Files

Comment

I saw those pics on the FB page, the reversed rims are different, I had never seen that before, is it just to allow better access for cleaning?

Interesting tire choice, I like the look, what size are those? I know Charles had been running a lot of Yokohamas previously, what made you go with the Goodyears?

Keep the pictures coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
            I saw those pics on the FB page, the reversed rims are different, I had never seen that before, is it just to allow better access for cleaning?

Interesting tire choice, I like the look, what size are those? I know Charles had been running a lot of Yokohamas previously, what made you go with the Goodyears?

Keep the pictures coming!
            Yes, turning the wheels out gives much better access for cleaning. With regard to tires, I strongly considered 9.00x16 Michelin XL but, with a speed rating of only 62 mph, the 315/75/16 Goodyears seemed a better choice for a daily driver truck.

Charles has been putting the Goodyears on his rebuilds for quite some time as the Yokohamas are no longer easily available.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
              Original rims that are in KNOWN GOOD shape are by far the better option. Bead locks are not street legal in NC, and likely other states as well. The bolts can break at highway speeds, not good. If you are hauling a load, the risk is even greater. Split lock rings were the standard in heavy truck rims for many years. I knew a man that was killed when one came apart on a dump truck, but as mentioned here, it had just been assembled with a new tire installed. It was not double checked and disaster followed. I've heard of folks installing 16.5" tires on a 16" original Budd rim; now that is betting against your own life, and a really stupid move. I wonder how many accidents with Budd's have been because of really stupid moves? They are nothing to play with, but in good condition and done right, are just fine. If you are uneasy, certainly go to a pro.

Bead locks have their place, but you best use them "in their place," and not elsewhere.
              The DOT recommends that multi-piece tires be examined by a trained tire professional whenever the tires have been run under-inflated. I guess the recommendation makes sense, but it seems to have been made out of an abundance of caution and is especially applicable to heavy equipment. Still, it's a good idea to pay attention to the ring whenever adding air to a tire on a multi-piece wheel. Standing to the side and using remote inflation methods are reasonable precautions.

Comment

"Wish for nothing so much that you forget to make it come true." Jeb Dickerson

Steaming the bottom of the frame.
                Attached Files

Comment

Gordon’s passing serves to remind me again about moments, and how important it is to live “in them”…to pause and to be mindful of my blessings…to be thankful for the people around me…to be thankful for the things that make life worth living.

I'm honoring, at this moment, the sun slipping behind the pine trees and spilling some final rays on the red hills of Carolina. I’m also soaking up the smell of my coffee, the arrival of the PWA in my mailbox, and a fresh coat of epoxy primer on my old frame.
                  Attached Files

Comment

An amazing project Kevin
                    1967 W200.aka.Hank
                    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Just got an email about the previous post. Kevin will likely chime in; but I'll say this. We have the rear diff built with 4.89 gearing and ARB locker. The new Cummins sits waiting on a pallet. The 5-speed transmission with .69 5th gear overdrive and PTO is built, and ready, as is the transfer case, (built by Kevin) with provisions installed for an oil cooling system. Kevin has had some health issues at times and hasn't been able to pitch in and help as much as he was a while back, thus progress has slowed. We have been covered up with brush fire truck maintenance and upgrade service work, thus everything else has slowed as well to be honest. You can check out our facebook page; linked from our website to see all that is going on. Kevin's project, along with all the other goings on at M Series will be updated there daily; or at least we try our best to update daily.

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
                          Any updates?
                          The road to completion is going to be slower than I’d hoped for. As I find myself getting older, it seems there’s no harder ghosts to get rid of than the ghosts of old injuries. About eight years ago I had an accident at a house fire in which I broke a total of 23 bones. And just that fast, life changed forever. One minute I was putting out fires and swinging axes and the next minute I was the object of attention in the medical community and the recipient of a hypodermic needle in the butt.

After a series of surgeries and a two year period of rehab I was given a mandatory medical retirement from the Fire Dept. Leaving the FD was hard, but I still believed that I would be able to do the other things that I loved. Another rebuild of Fenway was top of the list. I believed it would be good therapy for a guy who loves to work with his hands.

But, about the time I finished the t-case rebuild, I knew I was in serious trouble. Couldn’t stand on my feet for any sizable amount of time. Couldn’t lift anything. Couldn’t work from my knees or overhead. Truth is, there wasn’t much I could do at all.

But the good news is, as Charles said, the main components are rebuilt and ready to go back in, and the guys at M Series are doing all they can to help a busted up old fireman. Good guys. All of them.

Meanwhile, I’m doing all I can to recover my health.

Comment

Wow! I'm truly sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope your recovery goes well from here forward. It is excellent to hear that Team Charles is helping complete the project. I'm sure it will turn out awesome! Can't wait to see some pics of the completed project.

Good luck and thanks for the update!
                            Clark

Comment

Sorry to hear that Kevin. As a brother in the fire service, I know how protecting the public can come back to haunt you. After years of hiking mtns and cutting line and doing hose lays, I get out of bed slower, walk with a gimp after sitting for awhile and all that goes with hammering a body for decades. I now have 20 years in with the State. Couple that with 5 for the USFS and 4 for BLM and you can imagine the damage done. Although, as Im sure you can attest, I wouldn't change it for the world. I don't regret any of it.

Hope you continue to improve and not get much worse. Good to know you have good people that surround you and see the same sickly vision of a truck you do, lol.

Take care
                              Nick

P.S. Nice truck!

Comment

Kevin,
                                I hope you are in the final stages of recovery when you read this!
                                But get well soon or sooner!
                                Rich

Comment

Working...
                                X