The New Fenway Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jake View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this build Kevin.
    Thank you Jake. I’m looking forward to it too…not just the turning of wrenches, but everything that goes with it…the feeling that you get from sitting on a bucket after a good days work, a cold coke in your hand, and a good dog at your feet. It’s pure satisfaction. Each day leaves you with something good…something that matters…something gained out of one’s own fortitude.

Almost 10 years removed from the last rebuild of Fenway, I can clearly see that the work we did was solid and lasting. Everything held up as good as can be expected. But, in the end, the time spent with dad was what really mattered, especially now that he is no longer with us. I’ll never forget the days of that rebuild. Meaningful days.

And now, as I look to the new project, I’m looking to add a few new days that I can take with me in memory…good days with good friends and a good truck…a few old parts to fix up, and a few new ones to install.

This build will be quite a bit different than anything I’ve done before, and it’ll likely come as a bit of a shocker to those who know about my love for all things old…at least those that were given to us through intelligence and logic like the Chrysler L-head 6.

I’m doing a repower.

Unbecoming as it may seem for a man to do a repower in a classic truck, one has a hard time not doing it after seeing a truck as full of spirit as a Cummins powered Power Wagon; all high, wide, handsome, trustworthy and hardworking.

Not that the original Power Wagon wasn’t…it most certainly was….but this new Cummins will eat up miles quicker than Elvis could eat up sweet potato pie. My old Fenway is my daily driver and will remain such until I leave this side of eternity. It needs to eat up miles.

And the intelligence and logic of the QSB 4.5, well, it rivals anything they gave us in the days of yore. Yes sir. It’s one fine engine.
    Attached Files

Comment

That's a beautiful truck, Kevin. If my WDX had looked even remotely close to that good, it would still look like that. :)
      I'm sure it will be even more beautiful when you are done, and the Cummins will be a great addition. Have fun with the project. You are right, these trucks can provide some great therapy. I have been unable to do as much as I would like to do overt the past 7 months, but I am looking forward to getting back at it now that things seem to be going better.
      I am looking for another truck, do you know where your truck's twin is? ha ha
      Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Henry View Post
        That's a beautiful truck, Kevin. If my WDX had looked even remotely close to that good, it would still look like that. :)
        I'm sure it will be even more beautiful when you are done, and the Cummins will be a great addition. Have fun with the project. You are right, these trucks can provide some great therapy. I have been unable to do as much as I would like to do overt the past 7 months, but I am looking forward to getting back at it now that things seem to be going better.
        I am looking for another truck, do you know where your truck's twin is? ha ha
        Jerry
        Thank you Jerry. Your truck looks great and I'm glad you're feeling better and getting back on your feet.

I'm fortunate that my old bodywork has held up well and I won't have much of that kind of thing to do this time around. It's not that I mind doing bodywork, but it will be nice to focus more on mechanicals.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
          I’m doing a repower.

Unbecoming as it may seem for a man to do a repower in a classic truck, one has a hard time not doing it after seeing a truck as full of spirit as a Cummins powered Power Wagon; all high, wide, handsome, trustworthy and hardworking.

Not that the original Power Wagon wasn’t…it most certainly was….but this new Cummins will eat up miles quicker than Elvis could eat up sweet potato pie. My old Fenway is my daily driver and will remain such until I leave this side of eternity. It needs to eat up miles.

And the intelligence and logic of the QSB 4.5, well, it rivals anything they gave us in the days of yore. Yes sir. It’s one fine engine.
          Come to the dark side...

we have cookies!

Jealous though, the QSB is a really nice motor. Look forward to seeing the install.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
            Come to the dark side...

we have cookies!

Jealous though, the QSB is a really nice motor. Look forward to seeing the install.
            I've been enjoying watching your project too.

Comment

Quote of the day… “Millions of people long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.” …Susan Ertz

Just thought I’d put that out there for something to think about.

Anyway, before this thread goes too far into the nuts and bolts of a repower, I want to give you a few tidbits about the planning and budgeting that was involved, as I think it’s one of the most important stages of a build. Often overlooked.

This particular project is the biggest, and by far the most expensive one that I’ve ever taken on. To do it on the income of a retired firefighter seems a stretch.

And it is.

It’s a long stretch.

The last few years has been all about scrimping and saving…figuring out exactly what I wanted to do…making sacrifices so that I could pull it all off…selling things that I didn’t really want to sell…going without some of the things I would have liked to have had.

I did all of this because it was necessary. No other way.

While going through that sort of thing, one might find himself doubting whether it’s worth it. But if you’ve put enough time into deciding what you really want, the doubt will eventually give way to something else…something that feels like determination or grit. And when you do things with grit, you’re likely to bring about a good measure of success.

So I think it’s important to ask ourselves how we want to live, and then set about doing it. Build a log house if you want to. Buy a Harley. Fly up to Boston for a Red Sox game. Put a Cummins engine in an old Power Wagon. Whatever. Just do it with enthusiasm. Do it with determination. And, most of all, be patient.

With enough patience, even a retired firefighter will eventually get where he wants to go.

Comment

I'm so happy you're doing this, Papa. I know it's good for you. And it's also good for those of us that are privileged to hear your wisdom. Indeed, it's important to immerse ourselves in the things that make us feel complete -- whatever it is! For you, that's Fenway. God bless her.

A little thought for the day that's similar to what you've said in your posts: "There's nothing more risky than pretending not to care."

So go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Colt Mienke View Post
                  I'm so happy you're doing this, Papa. I know it's good for you. And it's also good for those of us that are privileged to hear your wisdom. Indeed, it's important to immerse ourselves in the things that make us feel complete -- whatever it is! For you, that's Fenway. God bless her.

A little thought for the day that's similar to what you've said in your posts: "There's nothing more risky than pretending not to care."

So go for it.
                  Thank you bud. I sure miss having you here for this one. Maybe come August we'll spend a couple of days together on it. I'll get the donuts and Mt. Dew and you do the lifting.

Comment

Colt, you are a good lad! You don't know me but I have two sons and I appreciate the respect and honor you have for your Papa. With that attitude I would hire you on the spot if you came to my place of business and asked for a job! Just sayin!

Kevin if you ever find yourself in the beautiful mountains of BC Canada make sure to stop by and say hello!

I like your idea of building your truck exactly the way you see fit, I think the generation of engineers that designed your Power Wagon would approve!

Comment

Originally posted by Colt Mienke View Post

So go for it.
                      Hey Colt, great to see you are on the forum. My time on line is rather limited, just not enough hours in the day to get all in that I'd like it seems, but I get by to check every time I can. I have had a number of great friendships that got started right here, your Dad is a good example of 1 of them. Everyone at M Series looks so forward to seeing Kevin; he has been a great asset in SO many different ways. Great day to you!

Comment

I hope one day to be able to visit your shop, Charles.
                        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob2 View Post
                          Many many years ago when I was a young lad trying to earn enough money for working on my car 1955 ford, high school, dates and gas money, I worked at a Goodyear truck / auto tire store.

In 1966 I witnessed a tire man changing the tires on a truck fitted with split rings such as your beloved Budd's. While he was installing the outer tire on drivers side rear, the, ring became dislodged and removed his left arm. This was a traumatic sight to a 17 year old kid, from that moment on I am petrified of these rims. I am 65 years young.

The truck that Dan Mininger is rebuilding for me will have modern Marsh Wheels installed.
                          Obviously, the details of the terrible accident are lost to time. But, I see no way that a properly seated ring on an undamaged wheel can come loose. Probably, the tire had just been changed and the installer failed to ensure the ring was seated when he inflated the tire. I agree, tire installation on these wheels should probably be left to the pro's. But, I don't think they pose any danger to the Power Wagon owner who is just changing a flat tire or working around them.

I'd be interested in hearing any information to the contrary as we spend a lot of time around these wheels. There are many types of multi-piece wheels and I suspect some of the injuries attributed to Budd wheels were actually caused by other types of wheels.

Anyway, Fenway is a nice looking truck. Good Luck.

Comment

Many years ago, a friend on the PWA forums recommended a book called "Shop Class as Soul Craft". I took his advice and was glad I did. The book was outstanding. The author makes a great case for working with ones' hands. So, the quote for the day comes from Matthew B. Crawford and Shop Class as Soul Craft.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy. They seem to relieve him of the felt need to offer chattering interpretations of himself to vindicate his worth. He can simply point: the building stands, the car now runs, the lights are on."
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kevin. As a father of 2 boys and 2 girls, I must say I admire the relationship you have with your son. It's admirable that he would take the time to post that comment. He shows his love and his respect for you in a very few words. Good feeling for a father when that happens.
                              I may have missed this, but will ask: What kind of tires are those? They are very cool looking. I would suspect they are not a high mile road tire, but they sure look like they would do the job.
                              Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                                I hope one day to be able to visit your shop, Charles.
                                Always know that you are surely welcome at any time. Just call and say look for me, I'm coming today. We would be honored.

Comment

Working...
                                X