Bolts for front bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolts for front bumper

Weird question... I'm away working and would like to pick up stainless bolts, nuts and washers for the front winch bumper with extensions install. Anyone happen to know the number, size and length of bolts I need?

All bolts are 1/2"

Thinking, 4- 1/2 x 1 1/2

20-1/2x 1 1/4

Pull hooks are, 4-1/2x 1 5/8

Nut's,washers for all
    that should get you started/that's not including winch extension to frame bolts. those would be 12,more 1/2x 1 1/4
    TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Check the pull hooks, the ones on my 46 use 2 larger 5/8" bolts in the front If I remember correctly and then the 1/2" in the back. I remember having to go get those specfically because they are also longer than the rear bolts.

As for stainless make sure you check the specs on them. I would use Grade 8 hardware for all of these fasteners unless the bumper and winch is just for decoration, and most stainless bolts are not anywhere near that strong (and you probably don't want to know what a stainless bolt with the right strength costs in that size).

If you don't plan to use it I would seriously consider leaving the winch disconnected or putting some sort of warning on it. Should some future owner decide to use the bumper and it's all held together with a bunch of ungraded stainless bolts it could be very bad.

Comment

Thanks for the replys! I didn't know stainless bolts were ungraded. I will buy grade 8 zinc bolts now. I plan on running a 8274 Warn and nothing I own is for decoration so it needs to be strong.

I don't have tow hooks and didnt realize I was missing them until now. Will source those out as well

Comment

"Check the pull hooks, the ones on my 46 use 2 larger 5/8" bolts in the front"

Some pull hooks are that way,however my original hooks to the WDX were as I said two 1/2" bolts as noted in Dode Parts manual D-12004 dated Feb. 1948

Did not mention the use of SS bolts as I knew someone would explain the hazard of such bolts.

TGP
          WDX & Misc. Pics.
          http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
          "47" Dodge WDX WW
          "52" Dodge M-37 WW
          "54" Willys M38A1
          "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
          "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
          "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
          "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
          "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
          "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

From Bolt Depot.com
            It is a common misconception that stainless steel is stronger than regular steel. In fact, due to the low carbon content, stainless steel cannot be hardened. Therefore when compared with regular steel it is slightly stronger than an un-hardened (grade 2) steel fastener but significantly weaker than hardened steel fasteners.
            I'm sure you could get something hard enough in a stainless, but it might loose some of it's rust-free properties and probably be very expensive.

Another thing that may be of interest is that all these bolts were originally fine thread, at least all the ones I pulled out of mine on disassembly. They are a little stronger though I'm not sure the difference is important, but you won't usually find 1/2" fine thread grade 8 hardware at your local big box store.

Comment

That is a good point, it is my ignorant belief that fine thread is easier and more accurate to torque.

We have some very good fastner stores here that sell any type of bolt you can imagine so I should be able to get what I need.

Comment

Originally posted by gyman98 View Post
                That is a good point, it is my ignorant belief that fine thread is easier and more accurate to torque.

We have some very good fastner stores here that sell any type of bolt you can imagine so I should be able to get what I need.
                No, that would also be a benefit of fine thread fasteners, but I'm not sure there is a torque spec for these bolts, other than tight since they are all basically used in a shear type application.

Don't forget the lock washers, Dodge used them everywhere!

Comment

Will do thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X