No announcement yet.

Power Wagon mud race truck build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had high winds yesterday afternoon and into evening, and it knocked out power out for about 7 hours. When it went out my son and I heard a loud noise, but we couldn't figure out what it. This morning I went out to my wife's and I's trucks and happened to look over at our meter pole, and saw that the meter had been blown up. Must have been one **** of a surge to blow the meter out like that.

This evening I had to work on my 05 CC 3500 as it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I had checked the codes and it said it was the transmission speed sensor, so I picked one of those up today and went to swap them out when I got home from work and found that the wiring side was dislocated from the actual sensor. No wonder it wasn't working.

Comment

So after fixing my dually, getting my neighbors calf back through the fence to it's momma, feeding the cows and test driving the dually, grabbing a bit to eat, I didn't spend a lot of time working on the mud truck, but I did manage to finish getting the welds ground down and the dents beat out of the bed side. I also took measurements of the bed area so I can hopefully get in town tomorrow and pick up the angle iron I will need to build the bed frame

Tomorrow I plan on cutting down the other bed side and the bed header and cutting the strip of metal off of the other side and making the bends, guess I'll see just how far I can get with the time I have.

Comment

Over 1,200 views already!
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Meter Damage

I'm guessing something blew against the meter and broke it before any electrical damage occurred.

Comment

There isn't anything around where my meter pole is, I have very few trees on my 120 acres and it wasn't blowing hard enough to drive debris that far.

The oil lease on my place has had a private electric company out for the last 2 days repairing their systems, we feed off of the same power line. (and no I don't get royalties, the county I live in, the osage nation owns all of the mineral rights).

Work got in my way today of getting much done on the truck, but I did pick up the angle iron to build the bed base and we have the cab of my son's truck loose and tilted up onto some blankets so he can get the underside cleaned and coated with undercoating.
            On the truck, I was able to take the front stake pocket, get it apart from the backside that I don't need and get it welded back onto the fender in it's new location. I do still need to weld up a couple of rust holes in it and to make a cap for the bottom to finish sealing it up.

Comment

My son's truck

Comment

Spent the afternoon out in the shop working on the passenger side bed side. I made a run to town and picked of a piece of 1 1/4" diameter thin wall pipe so I could continue that rolled edge on the passenger side where the spare tire would have been if I'd been building a street truck. I fixed all of the rust holes on the front box and have it fully welded in place with the welds cleaned up.

Comment

Comment

Next I took that the really beat up and twisted back box and cut all the welded backing off it and the frame bracket that was welded on the inside. Then I spent about an hour with hammers, dolly, blocks of wood and finally got it beat back pretty close to square. I hadn't realized how out of shape it was before I'd started working on it. It's not perfect now, but it will serve it's purpose to support the bed sides. I got the back piece welded on the rear of the bed and called it quits for the night. I've got to clean the welds up on it tomorrow and have a few more holes on that fender to fill in and I need to cut the bottom of the two boxes I welded back on flush with the bottom of the bed sides and then box them in with some 26 gauge steel sheet.

Comment

Been playing in Gimp with a picture of the rear frame of the truck and how I'm going to build the bed supports and lay out the things that go into the bed like the radiator, fuel cell, fuel pump, stack (if I can get the piping figured out), batteries and the new shock tower so I can run bigger shocks.

Comment

Does anyone know what a set of rear fenders would cost? Or what their measurements are? I have to run fenders on the back as well as the front, just trying to figure out if I can find some trailer or semi fenders that would work. I've need to fit them over some 38" wheels and keep them from hitting the tires on a hard landing.

Comment

Original rear fenders are expensive and hard to find.

Interesting what you did with Gimp!
                          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

rear fenders

look up us body company, I'm pretty sure they make fiberglass fenders, cabs anything but bedsides in fiberglass for power wagons.

Comment

Fender Option

This company made the rear fenders I am using, I think they were $50 each + shipping. They worked great for me.

http://www.fendersnmore.com/products/products.php

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll call fenders and more tomorrow to get an idea of what they will charge. Does anyone have any measurements for them or would they know what I need? I don't have any to get measurements off of.

I saw what they were wanting for a set of repops on vintage power wagons, so I started looking at buying a roller and the a 13/16 curve die and making my own out of 18 gauge steel.

Today, I finally finished working on the passenger bed side today. I cleaned up the welds on the back of the fender, then bent both ends in toward the inside of the bed so that I have metal to bolt to front and back.

Comment

Working...
                                X