No announcement yet.

Power Wagon mud race truck build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got to put a little time in on working on the truck today and finished up the huge cedar chest that I've been building for a xmas present. I concentrated on the hood today, because the nubs that slide into the pivots on each end were pretty much gone and was making it difficult lining stuff up and getting the front grill shell to where it needed to be.
    The hood was missing a bunch of rivets on one side of the hood. I had been putting penetrating oil down the grooves for a while in preparation for separating the two halves, but it still took quite a while today working on it to get it apart. Once I got it apart, I started with the side missing all the rivets, I lined up the pieces, drilled out the rivet holes and replaced them with steel pop rivets.

Comment

After I fixed that side of the hood, I took my replacement ends and marked where to cut off the old pieces and then I drilled and pop riveted in the new ends into place.

Comment

I shot some self etching primer into the channels before I slid the hood back together.

Comment

Put the hood back on and lined up the grill now that I can hood the hood at both ends.

Clearance problems with the turbo has been solved.

Comment

The back of the cedar chest

I also worked out some of the dents in the hood and cab while out in the shop today, still have a few more on the top of the cab I need to work on and on one of the doors.

Comment

Since we've been iced in this weekend with my wife stuck at work, I've been out in the shop working a bit on the truck. Working on making templates for the floor panels and trying to figure out how to get the curve needed for the transmission tunnel put into the 11 gauge steel. I've got it partially formed right now, but it still needs more bend in it.
              Been welding up all the cracks and holes on the driver side on the cab, it was fun trying to get the steel on the cab held where I needed it with one hand and welding it with my other hand, but taking it slow I got it all back out and welded up. The front part of the cab on the drivers side was separated by about an inch, took a big ratchet strap across the front of the cab and back under and worked it back to where it needed to be. I also welded up the mirror holes on the front of the cab as well.
              Here are some pictures I took
              My new replacement 8" bench grinder my wife bought me, first one went pop and started smoking when I plugged it in.

Where the mirror used to mount

The front of the cab before welding it

Comment

After welding the front of the cab

Some other welded areas

Comment

Partway through fixing the back of the cab on the drivers side, guess I didn't get a picture of it after I finished it

Back of the cab was broke/cracked in 3 different directions

One of the cracks on the passenger side I still need to weld up

Comment

Making some progress on the truck getting the sheet metal welded back back together where it's cracked/torn.

Comment

Hopefully I will finish welding up the cracks tomorrow and start working on something else.
                      We picked up some of the painting materials for my son's 91 dodge truck today and the paint will be mixed and ready for it Thursday. We have to finish stripping the body off the 93 1/2 ton gasser I picked up as a body donor and get it ready to primer in pieces and the jams, firewall, inner fenders etc... painted before we start reassembling on the 91's 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel frame.

Comment

Finished welding up the passenger side of the body today and beating out a few more dents. I also drilled a 3" hole above where the factory steering column went to see if I can figure out how to use the 96's steering column so I don't have to buy a build your own kit. I think I can make the 96's column work. I'll throw the seat in on some wood blocks tomorrow to see if I can get in and out with the steering wheel where it's at. I wish I could find an aftermarket steering wheel to get rid of that crappy dodge steering wheel.

Comment

I finally dug out the 3/8" plate steel slab I have from where it was leaning against the wall and crap piled all around it. Need to cut two long pieces from it to make the mounts for the front grill.
                          We also moved a bunch of crap around the shop again to free up the corner where the paint bay is going to be. Still need to grab all the pipe pieces for my large garage in a box frame and get it erected inside the shop and then cover it with some heavy mil clear plastic.

Comment

You have been really busy!
                            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I've never had to worry about moss growing on my arse from sitting still. I still have a lot to get accomplished to have the truck ready by mid april.

Comment

Worked a little on the truck today now that Christmas is finally over and we started putting together the paint bay in the corner of the shop. We have all the framework put back together and the top sheet of plastic duck taped in place.

I pulled off the original water neck on the side of the block as well and test fit the new water neck, there is all kinds of room in there now and I shaved off a few more pounds from the truck...
                                with the original installed, the neck was right up against the front grill side.

The old and new compared

Comment

Working...
                                X