251 engine starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 251 engine starter

Has anyone tried using one of the newer starters with the soleniod mounted on the side on a 251 engine? I have a 1966 WM300 with the 251 engine that the starter worked for awhile and now has quit working. The local starter rebuild shop quoted me 185.00 to rebuild. It looks to me that once this other style is mounted, that due to the position of the soleniod it will come in contact with the engine block. Has anyone tried using one of these? (Rock Auto has these starters).
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Why so much to rebuild? What is wrong with it? Bushings and brushes are pretty cheap.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

They didn't tell me what was wrong.... they originally qouted me 90.00 before they even saw it. After they got it they qouted me the higher price. Said it was more due to the cost of the parts. I've had the end off and the brushes look great. The truck only has 28,000 miles on it but it hasn't been started for 10 yrs til I got it running two weeks ago.

Comment

Who has the starter now?

Comment

I do..... and I'm thinking of trying to fix it myself. I have hooked my battery charger to it and it tries to turn. It probably just needs a good cleaning and lube. I've never had one apart and not sure how to do so.

Comment

What parts did they say you needed?

Comment

Watch a few of these....

https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+reb...tarter&tbm=vid

Comment

They didn't say what was wrong or discuss any parts even after I asked. Thanks for the videos, I haven't had a chance yet to watch them.
                Any suggestions on a place to get bushings and other parts?

Comment

A good, full line auto parts store; NAPA for example. That starter shop could sell them to you, also.

Comment

Tries to turn? Make sure it isn't physically stuck for some reason. Then check the commutator. It should be fairly clean. If not. try cleaning it with some abrasive cloth. You may be able to do this without taking the starter apart by wrapping some abrasive cloth over the end of a flat stick. How do the brushes looks? Are they riding against the commutator?

If you can't clean the brushes without taking the starter apart, time to learn how to take a starter apart. Take out the long bolts and take off the end of the starter. The armature should pull out.

The tricky part is getting the brushes over the commutator when you put the starter back together. There's usually a hole in the brush housings which allow you to place a piece of wire in to hold the brushes back while you slip the end plate on.

It helps to have someone show you how to do it, but, with the help of on-line videos you should be able to do it. If you can't figure it out, you probably shouldn't be taking the starter apart anyway.

A battery charger probably isn't the best way to check a starter unless you have a high-capacity charger. Momentarily connect the battery directly to the starter using battery cables. Careful, the starter may jump around when started. If the starter turns vigorously, your problem is somewhere else.

Comment

The harder part to find, and where the real issues usually surface, is the starter drive. Replacing bushings and inspecting the switch assembly are good ideas as well...

CD
                      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                      1954 Ford 860 tractor
                      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Thank you for responding...... I have taken the starter apart, cleaned it, reversed the bushing in the end. The brushes look like new. I reinstalled it and it works like a new one. Eventually I will replace the bushing in the end but for now it works just fine.

Comment

It's a good feeling when you save yourself some money with a little knowledge.

Comment

Yes it is!

Comment

Working...
                            X