Ignition Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pump timing

From what I have learned and observed so far, you might have enough distributor adjustment to solve the problem without moving the oil pump.

While my truck is running much better, even at 24 deg worth of advance, I am still going to try and simply move the spark plug leads on the distributor cap, before going to the trouble of moving the pump. #1 spark plug will go to where the lead to #5 is presently, #5 will go to where #3 is now, etc. In other words, everything remains in order, just all the leads get moved one hole, in my case clock wise. Then I'll be faced with adjusting the distributor body counter clock wise to advance the spark. The opposite problem that I have now, but I might then have the adjustability at the distributor base plate to achieve the book timing.

However, in my case, the truck did not want to run even idle at the recommended setting of 4 deg BTDC. So I might just leave it, until the day I rebuild the engine and then I'll finally be able to figure all this out.

As far as needing choke to keep the truck at idle; My humble recommendation there would be to make sure your throttle linkage is set up right, then check the idle mixture. When my truck is warming up I can close the choke early and she idles OK. The previous owner of my truck had removed the hand throttle, so I put it back in and set it up and that helps during the gymnastic starting proceedure on the early PW trucks with a starter peg on the floor. Left foot on the clutch, right toe on the peg, right heel on the accelerator pedal was difficult. Then the truck starts and you have to release the starter without lifting or changing the accelerator position. Now with the hand throttle I can concentrate on the starter peg only. Up top my hands are playing choke and throttle.

Definitely get the choke and idle cleared up so it will at least run for the ignition check. Even then you will have to go back and make a final adjustment at the carb .

Check the choke linkage and wire cable housing also. Everything on my truck needed cleaning, lube and re adjustment

Charles is right when he mentions fuel and altitude. Even temperature and humidity play a role.

Also make sure the distributor is cleaned out and that the advance mechanism is working and the points (start with new ones) are clean and set before you start in with the timing light. Mine was a total mess.

This is all from my amateur experience working on my truck for the past year. I am no expert. Definitely go to the forum archives or look up some of Charles' or other posts on these and other subjects. The articles are worth their weight in PW parts.

Comment

Don't give up on my posting of the oil pump installation, it may be the weekend before I can find the time it looks like.

Comment

Charles sent me some photos and text for this thread, so I will begin posting it now.

Oil Pump / Distributor installation instructions, from Charles Talbert.

Step 1: Position the engine crankshaft so that #1 piston is up at TOP DEAD CENTER on its compression stroke.

Step 2: Turn the oil pump gear to the position shown on photo file# P1020078. File# 0073 shows a side view.
        Attached Files
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Step 3: Turn the oil pump shaft counter clockwise 1 tooth position from the initial starting point in step 2 shown in photo file# 0080. File# 0074 shows a side view.
          Attached Files

Comment

Step 4: Install the pump with gasket in place straight into the block bore being careful not to move the gear. Once the gear meshes with the drive gear on the cam, it will spin into mesh with the cam gear positioning the slot in the correct position to accept the distributor shaft drive tang. Secure the pump to the block with the proper bolts and lock washers.

Step 5: Remove the distributor cap and position the rotor as shown in photo file# 0081. Photo file# 0082 and file# 0083 shows tower #1 on the cap in relation to the rotor position shown in file# 0081.
            Attached Files

Comment

Step 6: Being careful not to change the shaft position, insert the shaft into the block bore and straight into engagement with the oil pump shaft slot. If you have followed the above steps to the letter, it should go fully into place without interference. Worst case, it should only take a very slight turn of the distributor shaft to find slot engagement. If it takes more than only a slight turn, retrace your steps as something is not correctly positioned.

This installation should allow for plenty of distributor body rotation to achieve the correct timing set up without interference.

We have found 4 degrees BEFORE TDC to be the optimum timing set for us here. Optimum setting where you are could vary somewhat due to elevation, fuel type and quality, etc.

If your distributor has a vacuum advance unit, remove the hose from the unit and plug it securely while setting the timing. My personal preference for low idle RPM is in the 600 – 650 rpm range. Setting the idle speed RPM lower than that can cause poor oiling of the bearings in a worn engine.

If this happens, serious bottom end wear will be greatly accelerated. Pay attention to your oil pressure gauge when the engine is warmed to operating temp and running at low idle RPM. If the oil pressure is extremely low at idle, I would suggest you increase the idle speed RPM enough to stave off a dangerously low oil pressure reading at idle.

Many thanks to Charles Talbert for his work in contribution to this thread.

Comment

Will this work for the 230 and 251?

Do these instruction apply to the 230 and 251 engines?

Comment

Yes to the 230, and I believe so for the 251, but let's see who comes along and comments.

Comment

Working...
                  X