Black sheep in a chevy family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black sheep in a chevy family

It all began when I was 16.I wanted a 4x4 truck. My dad was a truck driver who ran up to the midwest.He found a 77 powerwagon in ohio that a guy who worked at a terminal was selling cheap.He said I found you a pickup but it's a derned 'ol dodge but the price is right so if you want it i'll haul it home.By the time he took a load back up the guy had already sold it.I was still set on a dodge and finally found a 75 power wagon for sale locally.It was a montana truck purchased new by the sellers father in law.It had a 318 4sp. 4.10 danas.I had to have it.Around that time all the local boys were into hookin'up to see who could pull who.A buddy who was into mopars helped me pull the 318 and we put in a pretty stout 340 out of a cuda.I got picked on by a guy with a new ford who wanted to hook up.I stuck it in lo lock dropped the clutch,drug him about 5ft. and jerked the bumper clean off the ford.Nobody else wanted to hook up after that.Since that dodge i've owned a 77 100 slant 6,a 74 valiant,89 dakota,67 coronet[which I regret selling] and presently another 75 powerwagon.My wife says it,s a disease but she would rather me be at home workin on my mopars than at the bar drunk. Curdogman out.

I was born and raised on Dodges. My Dad always had WC's, M's, his friends had Dueces and light armor. When I got older and started wrenching myself I turned to Chevy. Chevy's were cheap speed and cheap parts. That combination with me being in my teens and early twenties infected me like a virus.

Eventually my Dad had some medical problems which kept him from a clutch. My brother inherited his trucks as I was doing my Chevy thing. When I married my second wife and bought the house we're in now I mentioned to my Dad that I was looking for a pickup specifically a local C20 454/5speed that was cheap and needed some work. He immediately suggested that I take the 880 with the condition that if I ever wanted to get rid of it I'd consult him first. If it's for free I'll take three. I settled in to the old Mopar like I'd owned it since it was new. Even though my daily driver is still a Chevy and I will always be a fan of Chevy's cars, I think Dodge makes the worlds toughest trucks. Even my '02 Avalanche 8100 wasn't as versitile as my 880 is now. The only thing that Avalanche had on the Dodge was leather seats, cruise, and a 6 disc changer.

Comment

I must confess That I to own a chevy.It's an 04 1500 4x4.It was my dd till I got my power wagon,now it sits in the garage unless I have a long trip.I keep hinting to my wife about trading for a cummins but she says it will just set in the garage too.Honestly I'm really not that crazy about the latest dodge trucks but I think the older ones are the best trucks ever made.As for muscle cars I wouldnt have nothin but mopar.My dad bought a brand new chevelle ss 454 in 71' and it was the first car I ever rode in.He and later my brother used to take it to the strip and the only stock class cars that would hang with it were big block mopars.As for off road I've had my chevy in some nasty spots around our farm but I can take my power wagon further unlocked and in rev.than my chevy will go in four w.d. Curdogman out

Comment

Working...
      X