Why ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why ?

When I was in the Army I was a radio operator 05B20.
    The truck we had was an M37 with an ANGRC-19 radio.
    I thought at the time "man this is one tough truck".
    We put that truck through some hard times and it seemed to like it. At the time (1966) I thought I would love to have one of these things to play with.
    Well as the years roared past I saw several for sale here and there but buying a home and having kids and many many other things life throws at you put buying one so far back on the priority list that is was almost forgotten.

Then I retired and moved to the country and bought a home with a super garage and thought "hey , I have time, money and the space for my old friend M37".
    Saw one on EBAY and threw out a bid and I won.
    Looking back I would not do the EBAY thing again.
    It is way too big a leap of faith.
    The truck was in fairly good condition and ran ok and only had some rust in the bed. The problem came after I had the truck a while and noticed it was on the weak side. Low compression was the problem.

The other reason I like old trucks or cars is I can understand how they work and I can normally fix them without a computer.
    They are like a window to the past when things were clear and simple.
    The dash board shows whats going on with the truck and no stupid little hieroglphs for people that cant read English. It says Fuel, MPH, Temp etc.

I joke with people about the truck saying "its not fancy or fast but what it cant climb over it can push out of the way.

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
    When I was in the Army I was a radio operator 05B20.
    The truck we had was an M37 with an ANGRC-19 radio.
    I thought at the time "man this is one tough truck".
    We put that truck through some hard times and it seemed to like it. At the time (1966) I thought I would love to have one of these things to play with.
    Well as the years roared past I saw several for sale here and there but buying a home and having kids and many many other things life throws at you put buying one so far back on the priority list that is was almost forgotten.

Then I retired and moved to the country and bought a home with a super garage and thought "hey , I have time, money and the space for my old friend M37".
    Saw one on EBAY and threw out a bid and I won.
    Looking back I would not do the EBAY thing again.
    It is way too big a leap of faith.
    The truck was in fairly good condition and ran ok and only had some rust in the bed. The problem came after I had the truck a while and noticed it was on the weak side. Low compression was the problem.

The other reason I like old trucks or cars is I can understand how they work and I can normally fix them without a computer.
    They are like a window to the past when things were clear and simple.
    The dash board shows whats going on with the truck and no stupid little hieroglphs for people that cant read English. It says Fuel, MPH, Temp etc.

I joke with people about the truck saying "it's not fancy or fast but what it cant climb over it can push out of the way.
    I like that.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
    X