Hand tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deathdeelr View Post
    Snap On Blue Point stuff is made in the same place as Craftsman. After a few years of owning a Blue Point snap ring plier set one of the red rubber handles had deteriorated and slid off the metal plier to reveal a stamped Craftsman logo. After consulting with my dealer he replaced the plier from a set he had on the truck and was horrified when while still standing on the truck I slit the rubber handle and sure enough, Craftsman was stamped into the brand new plier handle. I still don't have an answer on that one.
    Did your Snap-on dealer offer to give you back a suitable portion of your payment price? You paid upfront for "Snap-on" quality, and got Craftsman instead. I'm sure you could have gone to Sears and paid half as much for the same set of pliers with the same warranty, and apparently, the same build quality.

I'm willing to surmise that he did not pony up any cash to even out the money factor. False advertising is a wonderful thing isn't it? This is just another reason for me to stay away from Snap-on.

Craftsman aside, I've always had the notion that a good tool (manufacturer) dosen't need to advertise. I see many companies selling tools that I've never seen an advertisement for (Proto comes to mind). These manufacturers seem to rely soley on word of mouth to sell thier product to the masses. If their reputation is good enough to get by without gimicks or flash, then its quite probably a good tool.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterYota View Post
      Did your Snap-on dealer offer to give you back a suitable portion of your payment price? You paid upfront for "Snap-on" quality, and got Craftsman instead. I'm sure you could have gone to Sears and paid half as much for the same set of pliers with the same warranty, and apparently, the same build quality.

I'm willing to surmise that he did not pony up any cash to even out the money factor. False advertising is a wonderful thing isn't it? This is just another reason for me to stay away from Snap-on.

Craftsman aside, I've always had the notion that a good tool (manufacturer) dosen't need to advertise. I see many companies selling tools that I've never seen an advertisement for (Proto comes to mind). These manufacturers seem to rely soley on word of mouth to sell thier product to the masses. If their reputation is good enough to get by without gimicks or flash, then its quite probably a good tool.
      Great point!!

The Blue Point line available through Snap-On dealers, in my opinion is their way of luring buyers who for whatever reason don't buy the top line they offer. Many buyers seem to relish the fact that it was purchased off the Snap-On truck, even though it isn't Snap-On at all. Also makes me wonder about the real quality in the top line, all sorts of cost/quality cutting is going on today in the name of trying to stay alive in competition.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterYota View Post
        Nope, no offer to buy it back, no offer to refund part of the price. Needless to say I don't buy Snap On any more. One more on the Blue Point note. One of my last major purchases was a Blue Point plasma cutter I found on craigslist. I don't remember exactly how much I paid, I think it was under $500. Guy said he had it for a few years and never used it. He still had it in the box wrapped in plastic. Anyway, it works great. The thing is the consumables (electrodes, anodes, nose cones) are extremely hard to find except through Snap On. The gun is a Cebora and none of my local welding supply places carry them. They can order pretty much anything but it was tough initially finding what fit. Basically the thing was built using the cheapest stuff to make the most profit and to insure that the parts are difficult to find except through a SO dealer. I've since changed the gun to a Miller with some slight modifications and it works 100 times better.

Comment

Husky,blackhawk,billings

While visiting my folks today, I dug through my old man's shop toolbox. He keeps his newer/more frequently used stuff in his truck box. Anyways I came across alot of HUSKY sockets, a HUSKY speed wrench & breakover, some BLACKHAWK sockets, and some BILLINGS open-ended wrenches. The BILLINGS wrenches even had "lifetime warranty" cast into the body.

All of these had "made in USA" proudly on them and looked like very high quality stuff. I imagine they are all at least 30yrs old, as my dad hasn't fiddled much with automobiles since the 70's. He still works on his own mower, chainsaw and weedeater, but those don't require anything out of the "big toolbox".

Anybody remember BLACKHAWK or HUSKY?

Bucky

Comment

Another older brand was Bonney. My uncle, who was an Oldsmobile & Cadillac dealership mechanic when I was a kid, had Blue-Point and Bonney, and Snap-On, I am sure.

As an automotive instructor I tried to keep different brands for kids to see. We had Proto, Williams, New Britain, SK, Snap-On, Craftsman, and some Billings. I had a beautiful, wall mounted set of OTC pullers I wish I had now.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

My uncle (also a mechanic) had a mix of Craftsman and SK, with a few Snap-On pieces. There were some other odd ones I don't remember off the top of my head.

The real gems were some of the really old or odd tools. The drum puller is one of the beefiest tools I've ever seen, which is good considering the beating required to get the drums off the Desoto after 25 years.

He also had the nicest bearing greaser I had ever seen. Not sure where it disappeared to, but I've never seen one like it before or since.

I also found a brake drum caliper and what had to be a 50-year old voltage tester when we were cleaning out his garage (designed for 6V systems). The caliper is still in the original box, and the voltage tester is one of the classiest tools I've ever seen.

Comment

These old brands mentioned are still in our box, Williams, Bonney, Billings, and Blackhawk. Westward open end wrenches from Canada. and even a few Model "T" and "A" Ford script open ends. If we could only buy this quality today, those were the days indeed. I have a thin jaw design 7/8" X 3/4" Bonney open end jam nut wrench, most thin jaw designs tend to spead open and round the fastener, not this old soldier, it's steady as a rock. I'd offer some serious $$ for a full set of those in good condition.

Comment

I've seen Husky branded tools at Home Depot, but I'm not sure if they share any lineage with the Husky tools of old.

My own box is full of Craftsmen, Westward, Proto, Jet, and Tone tools. I'm not sure if the Tone company went out of business, but I've got a great socket set out of 'em that gets used regularly on some of the nastiest nuts and bolts I can find.

I'll admit, I've got a few of the Chinese knockoffs from Princess Auto (akin to Harbor Freight, but Canadian) and they have held up well enough so far that I won't bash them. I don't expect them to last forever, but they didn't break my bank for a purchase price either, so I got what I paid for.

Comment

If I read my Wikipedia correctly, Mac, Proto, Husky & Blackhawk are all currently owned by Stanley Works.

No tool like old school!

Bucky

Comment

I have a Blue Point XS-2024 box end wrench I keep by my computer. Why? I like it.

I Googled Blue Point XS-2024 and came up with this....

http://www.collectingsnapon.com/index.html

I have never formally collected old tools, but I can see how it could be fun.

I just now realize I don't know where I got this one wrench. There was no set.

Recently I have been reminded of just how handy short combination wrenches can be in close work. I went to the Snap-On website and priced some sets of short combinations. It took my breath away, but I admit, I would love to buy a set.

Comment

Something for Clint....

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=40058

Comment

After a somewhat lengthy perusal of the internet while we are having this discussion I have compiled a list of hand tools and who manufactures them. The manufacturers advertise on their sites that they make these brands but the brands don't want you to know where they come from.

DANAHER

Allen
                          Gearwrench
                          K-D Tools
                          Matco Tools
                          Craftsman (Danaher definitely made Craftsman recently but I'm not 100% that they are still made by Danaher; no notes on their site)

J.H. WILLIAMS

Snap On Tools
                          Bahco Hand Tools
                          CDI Torque Products

STANLEY

Proto
                          Mac Tools
                          Husky
                          Kobalt Tools (again, not 100% sure as there's no note on Stanley's site; this might be old info or a deal not finalized yet)

I don't like wikipedia because you need to verify everything you read from that site because anyone can edit or add infomation. For example wiki says Snap On manufactures their own tools and recently purchased Bahco. You can verify that from the Bahco site. However if you jump over to the JH Williams site, that says they manufacture Bahco and Snap On. I feel like I'm playing musical chairs. I'm glad I own high enough quality stuff that I don't have to deal with this on a daily basis. It'll drive a person nuts.

Comment

I think that link to the old tools and socket sets is now located here : http://alloy-artifacts.org/frank-mossberg-company.html

Just figured you'd like to know..

-jim lee

Comment

Interesting fact the Heir to the Stanley throne lives here in Fairfield.

It used to be that the Danaher tool Group made Napa Professional hand tools as well. They have since switched to the Carlyle tool brand.
                              1967 W200.aka.Hank
                              1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                              2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X