Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot bushing anamoly

Hi all,
    My life seems to revolve around oddities, I have a 53 FFPW with what appears to be the correct engine. The delema is the pilot bushing is smaller OD .870 rather than standard Dodge .940 it almost appears to be a rod bushing / very thin. I've looked an looked and called and called to no avail, my intentions are to ream the hole bigger and install the standard dodge bushing in the crank but thought I should inquire with y'all first.
    Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what are the letters and numbers stamped on the engine block?
    Also how many mounting bolt holes in the rear of the crankshaft for the flywheel?
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,
      T137-28743 and 8 bolts holding it on.
      Originally posted by Iowanogre View Post
      Out of curiosity, what are the letters and numbers stamped on the engine block?
      Also how many mounting bolt holes in the rear of the crankshaft for the flywheel?

Comment

What size is the transmission input shaft the goes into the pilot bearing? It's hard to imagine the crank shaft is not standard. I believe the correct OD of the pilot bushing is about 0.941 or so and the bore is for a 0.75" shaft. Do you have a picture?

thanks

Wayne

Comment

Your numbers would be correct Wayneh,
          I bought the standard bushing used in hundreds of thousands of engines thinking I would just R&R it. Another odd thing is how deep the hole is drilled in the crank, it is 2 1/2" deep and tapered at the end for ease of installation of the bushing. About all I can do is ream the hole if I can get the reamer flutes in deep enough to ream or a magnetic based drill and bit to redrill / hone the hole. I have spent considerable effort trying to find the correct bushing for the hole to no avail. My thoughts are this crank was a specialty crank for a specific application.
          Thanks for showing interest.

Comment

Not to derail/hi-jack this thread, but is .940 OD/.75 ID std size for later (60's/70's) Dodge pilot bushings (NP435/NP540 transmissions)?
            Thanks,
            Bucky

Comment

My answer would be yes along with many other Dodge applications, unless you travel in a parallel universe as I do....

Comment

Bucky: I actually cheated a bit and went to the Rockauto web site to see what the specs were for the one I bought.

Regarding the original question, what is the casting number for the crank? I've been in contact with Egge Machine quite a bit getting the parts for my engine rebuild, and I think they have folks who know a lot about older engines. If you call and ask for John he could get you straight. I know all this because when we went to turn my crankshaft it had a crack in it, so I had to buy another one...

Wayne

Comment

This is my anommolly the smaller brass bushing is what I removed and is next to the standard bronze Dodge bushing.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Used a little of that old school tech and fixed my problem.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That'll fix it.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                      X