1974 truck frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974 truck frame

have a 1974 w200 truck frame for free . would like to see it used not junked.located in ct.

mmmmmmm

resist resist

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
      resist resist
      A frame,
      a flat bed
      some axles
      an engine....

sure anything is possible ) HaHa

Comment

Be worth getting for the early Xmembers.

Comment

74 w200 frame needed --

Originally posted by 56c3 View Post
          have a 1974 w200 truck frame for free . would like to see it used not junked.located in ct.

hi Guys -- the post was back in 2008 I think - so prob. gone now --but I'm in Ct & need a 74 w200 frame - mine rusted like swiss cheese. anyone have one? Will a later frame (late 80s) 2-wheel drive (D-100, D150?) -- work to swap my driveline to? Strong enough? Thanks -- appreciate any response. All best, -- ken

Comment

Yours is a LWB frame I bet. Any 72-93 LWB frame should work, W series would be best, D series would require some front end work to get your front leafs attached.

Bucky

Comment

thanks Bucky -- my WB is 131" so glad to hear other than w200 frames can work -- I may be able to locate a D frame pre-93 -- what kind of mods were you thinking of on the front end? my pw has a dana 70 & frame plow mounts attached. Would like to use those somehow. tx again,

--- ken

Comment

"D" series trucks have A frame control arms & coil spring suspension of front. "W" series have leaf springs.

What kind of shape is your front suspension? If its rusted up as bad as the frame then you may want to start with a W200 donor.

Bucky

Comment

tx Bucky -- hhmmm ... A's & coils eh? mine are indeed leaf springs ... The front end isn't nearly as bad as the back of the frame on my '74 w200, but a D frame could be more trouble than worth to swap driveline etc to it?

Then the prob. is how to locate a good w200 donor. Or I could get into welding the back of the D frame to the front of my w200 frame. Any templets available for this -- like the kind made by Brothers Trucks for Chev. frame shortening? appreciate your advice. thanks again,

- ken

Comment

Might also want to look into....

Ramchargercentral.com, they have a lot of 1970 up discussion on W Series trucks and parts swap info.
                    http://ramchargercentral.com/index.php

DrPepper

Comment

Best bet for a W200 is the 76-78 military M880 series. These turn up at government auctions all the time. Virtually every volunteer fire dept in the nation has had one at some time or another. I think 99% were 318/727/203 with Dana 44 front & 60 rear. The military classified them as 5/4 ton but they are essentially identical to W200's. Regular cab & Sweptline (wide) long beds, same frame as what yours is.

Non-running ones can often be picked up for a few hundred dollars.

Bucky

Comment

thanks much Both - I'll look into both the 4x4 site & gov. auctions as suggested before committing to buying a late '80s D series frame nearby -it's pretty clean, but asking price over $500 - just the frame. Glad to see some possibilities for my '74 w200. thanks again & all best,

-- ken

Comment

Here's one in NY

http://utica.craigslist.org/cto/5681428314.html

Bucky

Comment

thanks Bucky -- the craigs notice for it was deleted when I tried it right after your note -- owner in upstate NY deleted so no longer available. Keep me posted on any other leads on w200 frames - or full donors perhaps. I looked more closely at the front of my w200 frame yesterday - & it's also the dreaded swiss cheese even though not as bad as the rear --so I'll still be trying to find the correct w200 frame to switch all driveline to. All best,

--ken

Comment

Ken,
                              I have a W200 club cab frame. Might be too far away, tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X