Moving up in the world, paint booth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving up in the world, paint booth

Since selling our family contracting business last June and no one seems to want to hire an experienced contractor I've gone into restoring trucks fulltime. To that end we've been building a paint booth for the last month and it's just about finished. I bought this booth from a spa manufacturer who got into financial trouble with the IRS. The booth was 20'x20. constructed from 2x2x1/4" wall box and covered with 18 gauge galvanized sheet metal. We stretched it 5', lined the inside, installed four 4 ft lights on each side wall with four 8 ft lights in the ceiling. With a fresh coat of white semi gloss paint there are no shadows anywhere. Along with the booth came an explosion proof exhaust fan. We built a 2x2 plenum in each corner for the exhaust with 16" pipe run to the fan. The intake filters are on the opposite end drawing clean air from my mixing room. I also bought a make up air unit with the booth that still needs a conversion kit from natural to LP gas. With the cold we've been having I have yet to paint anything but can hardly wait to try it out. This is a far cry from my visqueen paint room I had before. I've got a backlog of project trucks from all over the country right now.

Hey Ron, wheres the PIX? Sounds like a great addition for a skilled craftsman!
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Ron: Sounds great! Would love to see a photo or two.

Comment

As soon as I can get my Walt Disney Kodak to take pictures when I need it I'll get some posted. Must be the Walmart batteries the wife bought, two shots and they're dead.

Comment

I'm happy for you. It's nice when good things happen to good people.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
            I'm happy for you. It's nice when good things happen to good people.
            Thanks Kevin I appreciate that. It was a long time coming but it's going to be worth it. We got the heat hooked up Monday so after a couple of details I'll be happy as a pig in slop. I enjoyed reading your latest pieces in the PWA. I've got a couple submitted to Gordon right now.

Comment

Congrats on the new booth, and the new fulltime restoration business. Now, have you come up with a "catchy" name for this new business enterprise???
              Jeff

Comment

The working title is Old School Classics but it's not in stone yet. I need something for a name for the reality TV show. LOL Already had offers for a wacky sidekick.

Comment

Ron, your success is a wonderful story, yet it has sound basis. The basis is your skill, genuine passion for the trucks and the work, and your honest, genuine personality.

You are the kind of person anyone would want to deal with. You will do well. Please just use all the right safety equipment.

....and take lots of good pictures for more articles!
                  Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                    The working title is Old School Classics but it's not in stone yet. I need something for a name for the reality TV show. LOL Already had offers for a wacky sidekick.
                    Let's not forget to capitalize on your identity. You have developed an identity in the hobby.

Maybe the name could be old school in flavor....

Ron's Body & Fender
                    Ron's Restoration
                    Reichhart Restoration
                    Reichhart Autobody
                    Reichhart Body & Fender

Think about having you in the name. Better name/brand recognition, I believe.

Comment

Dr Dent

Dr Dent's Rusty Nut Removal Service

Comment

Gordon, I really appreciate your comments as well as those of my other friends. I've always been taught to do my best and to do right by others. I do love these old trucks and bringing them back to their glory.

As for the name we went by Reichhart Builders Inc for 40 years and people still have trouble spelling and pronoucing our name. It's been mangled every way imaginable, I even had one woman question me. She asked, "Two H's are you sure?" I said no I stutter, heerrre's your sign. So yes I've kicked around having my name on my new business just not sure which way to go. I am trying to get a grasp of my identity in the hobby as it amazes me how far I've come since 1998 when I bought Stubby to where I am now. WE do use our safety equipment everyday.

Andrew; as Al Borland would say, I don't think so Tim.

Comment

Ron is pretty easy to spell.

Comment

Dr Dent "where integrity still matters"

Grow one of these old tymee beards like the cough drop guys. Get a video of you pulling up to a restoration candidates home with your trailer and say "Dr Dent still makes house calls". You will also need a scruffy little dog to hop out of the cab, people love dogs.

Comment

Actually I'm making two house calls this weekend, one in Michigan the other in MN. Picking up another job and a parts truck. Sorry Andrew I don't grow much of a beard but I can look scruffy. You've still got dibs on the wacky sidekick job if the TV thing ever materializes. Common theme lately seems to be rednecks and Amish. I refuse to stoop to either so don't EVEN go there.

Comment

Working...
                              X