Cummins 4bt (Bosch VE?) Fuel Pump Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cummins 4bt (Bosch VE?) Fuel Pump Leak

Hello! I was just wondering if any of you gentlemen/ladies could provide some possible causes of this fuel pump leak which developed suddenly on my cummins 4bt. I fear that this is a symptom of a larger problem like return line becoming clogged, pinched? etc.

I know very little about the workings of this pump. Thanks for any advice :)

Here is a video showing the problem: https://youtu.be/o72APkCZXdY

The leak truly appears to originate precisely where it drips from in the video. I tried tightening that little hex cap and the leak became worse, surprisingly.

I'm driving this sparingly until I can attempt a repair.

-Ian

That leak is coming from the KSB housing which is a cold weather starting aid. If you remove that plug there are 2 orings that more than likely will need replacing.

Comment

Thank you much for the reply!

So then you think I can just saunter down to cummins with the o-rings in hand and get new parts? Is that thing spring loaded...will I have a mess if I open it up?

Comment

I'd try a parts house first, bring the old and try to match them up. I don't think cummins sells pump internals. Nothing should explode when you take it apart. Just keep a rag under to catch anything you may drop. Here's a link with part numbers, it's for a 6bt, I can't promise you it's the same as a 4bt. Check in with the guys at 4btswaps.com they know their stuff.

Part link

https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-pr...460210350.html

Comment

Thanks for your kind advice and the link! I called Cummins and they are looking into it. When I gave them my engine serial # they found the injection pump part #. I would most likely be able to then obtain the o-ring part # from Bosch and then call parts houses to inquire. However, I would think that any old o-rings which are the same size and diesel resistant should do...so I may try that route if it is difficult to obtain these parts. I will keep this thread updated for future reference.

Right now I'll take that apart and see if the o-rings look damaged.

Comment

So the little ring is nice and rubbery and OK. The larger one is as hard as a rock. That's the one which needs replacing methinks.

Comment

Bosch VE injection pump #:

Large O-ring part #:1460225082
              Small O-ring part #: 1460210310

Gonna go pick it up.

Thx for the resolve tuko!!

Comment

Working...
              X