PW Fuel Tank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PW Fuel Tank Question

My 1967 WM300 fuel tank is in need of some repair. It is the original tank, and holds about 20 gallons. It is located under the bed, inside the frame, and aft of the rear axle. It is mounted off to the side, presumably to allow space for a rear PTO, which my truck does not have. There is lots of space under there for a bigger tank.

Does anyone know if a larger tank was available as an option? Is there a supplier out there who has something that will fit? It would be nice to have something around 40 gallons, and be able to install an original type sending unit, so I could keep my stock gasoline gauge.

Ken and Linda made their own stainless steel tank and show how its donw on their page. They are in PA also.

http://mysite.verizon.net/kkull99/index.htm

Chris Case makes custom PW tanks out of stainless. He could probably make one for you to go all across the frame rails with the normal sender, etc.
    You can find him on Joe Cimoch's page, he posts there.

I do not believe big tanks were a factory option for the flatfenders.

Comment

The later brochures had a spec for an optional 37 gallon tank. See here.

http://www.t137.com/archives/wwwboar...s/2850177.html

The WWII 4x4 trucks had a tank in the same location that went from rail to rail but I'm not sure the size or if it would fit a PW.

Comment

Does anyone know if a larger tank was available as an option? Is there a supplier out there who has something that will fit? It would be nice to have something around 40 gallons, and be able to install an original type sending unit, so I could keep my stock gasoline gauge.
        I used a tank out of a mid '90s Chevy PU or Suburban. I had to move the mounting supports for the old tank back a couple of inches, and made the straps.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
          Ken and Linda made their own stainless steel tank and show how its donw on their page. They are in PA also.

http://mysite.verizon.net/kkull99/index.htm

Chris Case makes custom PW tanks out of stainless. He could probably make one for you to go all across the frame rails with the normal sender, etc.

I like the series of pictures covering the fabrication of the tank. If you never have a wish for a rear PTO, it is a great time to make a full width tank.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Henry View Post
            I used a tank out of a mid '90s Chevy PU or Suburban. I had to move the mounting supports for the old tank back a couple of inches, and made the straps.

What are we seeing there, a sheet or rubber between your bracket and the tank?

It looks good. Is that a metal tank? I suspect those are also available new?

Comment

I fitted a MTS Plastic Bronco 33 gallon fuel tank into my 46.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
              1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
              1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
              1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
              2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
                I fitted a MTS Plastic Bronco 33 gallon fuel tank into my 46.

It looks good. How did you accommodate the gas gauge situation?

Comment

Since I'm having to re-do the gauges I'll be installing a proper gauge for the ohm range on the Bronco sender.

Thanks,
                  Will
                  WAWII.com

Comment

Will,
                    Looks good.
                    How are you doing the fuel fill situation?
                    It looks like the inlet is on the drivers side, are you going to put the hole for the pipe on that side?

Comment

Doc,

I could mount the tank 180 degrees around if I had a stock bed, but since I'm going to build a flat bed, I want the fuel filler on the "correct" side. Since we drive on the right side of the road, we should pull to the right side of the pumps to fill up. :-)

Will

Thanks,
                      Will
                      WAWII.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                        What are we seeing there, a sheet or rubber between your bracket and the tank?

It looks good. Is that a metal tank? I suspect those are also available new?
                        Yes, I used the rubber as an isolator between the metal straps and the tank. The tank is a new take-off that I bought from a friend. I am sure there are a lot of them available in wrecking yards, but you can also buy new tanks. I found the sending unit new at NAPA by researching the tank itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post

I had Cris fab one for my project, about 40-gallons with a return line for the Cummins motor. He fabbed it for a stock sending unit by I modified it to take an aftermarket unit.

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...6&postcount=32

There are some other pics of it in that thread as well. Very nicely done and the price was great.

Comment

GAS Tank

Hello i read your post about puuting a tank under the bed of your truck, i would like to do the same with my 67 power wagon can you tell me how to contact the person you used to have one built. I would apperiate any help you can provide. Thank You Rick Walker.

Comment

Working...
                            X