Dana 60 Axle Conversion for 1947 Power Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 60 Axle Conversion for 1947 Power Wagon

The latest article in the magazine talks about using Ford F250 77-79? dana 60 axles as plug and play replacements for the original axles.

1. Are there any other dana axles that fit as well?

2. The 77-79 Ford F250 rear diff is centered, I believe. The article makes no mention of what to do with the transfer case. I looked at the exploded view for the 47 transfer case and noticed that many gears are the same. Is it possible to swap the emergency brake with the rear output shaft so that a centered rear diff can be used? Has anybody ever tried this?

3. I read where the 47 pw transfer case is 2 speed, and features 2Hi, 4Lo & 4Hi. Is this correct? Is keeping the transfer case a good idea, because it is all gears and no chains?

Just about any other axle will work, but you will have to move perches. The late 70s Ford axle has the proper perch spacing already, so its just a good shortcut if anything. Most guys that want to go as far as doing modern axles usually go with a more modern transfer case. My choice is the NP205 which is a dual range, cast iron case, and all gear internals, much like the original transfer case. As for switching the gears around in the original case, good question. If anything, do some homework on the WC transfer cases since they had centered diffs.

Comment

dana axles will be used with Mercedes om617

my main reason for going with the dana axles is to provide more powertrain flexibility for the Mercedes om617 diesel that I'm planning to use. Because the dana axles give more gear ratio options, I think I have more leeway to implement an optimal solution using dana axles. Also, I'm going to use the 4x4labs adapter plate, connected to a nv4500 transmission and a married gm transfer case . I've since talked to another "expert" who advised that a married transmission/transfer case is way more reliable and desirable than a divorced configuration - fewer seals to leak, and less risk of transfer case vibration because of alignment issues. I've watched the toyota land cruiser crowd embrace the om617 with enthusiasm, and I think that a successful implementation of the om617 on a ff pw will give pw owners another value option for diesel power.

Comment

Both transfer case configurations have their pros and cons. Your correct that the married transfer case can reduce some vibration and maintenance, but another good thing is that the driveline is nice and short. You'll find that there are many benefits to using later axles besides the gearing choices. And also bear in mind that you're not confined to just the Dana 60 for the rear axle. You can go to a 70 or 80 since you're going diesel...

Comment

dana 70/80

I already have a chevy dana60 front axle and dana 70/80 rear axle for one of my trucks. I'm looking for the ford f250 dana 60 axles for the other truck. I may pass on the chevy dana 60, and instead find a ford f250 dana 60. I like elegent solutions, and not just for the cost savings.

The dana axle article was very timely for my decision making process. I couldn't decide whether to go with an historically correct vehicle for one of the vechicles, or go with both vehicles being identical. Your article clarified quite succintly as to what the issues are, and a pathway as to how to resolve them. Thanks very much for the article, and your comments here.

Comment

Matt has had some really excellent articles in the magazine. I look forward to more of his writings.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Just keep in mind that the Ford front axle is a driver side drop, so if you run the Ford axle, you need the Ford transfer case to make it all work. The other issue is that the Ford and Chevy front ends use crossover steering. The Dodge steering is the closest to the original setup. If you go for the Ford front axle, you'll find that they aren't overly expensive usually. If you get one, try to get a Dana 60 high-pinion...

Comment

Just some info on the Ford D60. The 77-79 Ford D60 front axle is one of the most sought after and expensive axles out there. They easily command $1000 in rough shape. Off road guys want them for the same reasons mentioned earlier as well as it is a king pin axle up to 1991, and the short side axle tube lends itself well for welding suspension link brackets to, and high pinion. The 1970's F250 came with a 8 lug HD D44 front axle unless it was a Crew cab, Snowfighter pkg, or Camper special pkg. The HD D44 and D60 can be hard to tell apart. The easiest way is to measure the hub diameter, a D60 has a 4" diameter hub the D44 is smaller.
                The rear D60 isn't considered to be a great axle to use, weak shafts. A Ford 9" with alloy shafts is considered stronger. The Ford Sterling axle is considered equal in strength to a D70 with the same ground clearance as a D60.

Comment

Ford d60 - d44

Ford never used a kingpin open knuckle dana 44 . The dana 60s where king pin style and changed to ball joints in the late 80s . D44 or D60 is cast into the case and a build code is stamped into the axle housing . Chev and Dodge hubs are a bit stronger than the Fords , The Fords were high pinion , Chev and Dodge are low pinion , at least that is the case with the king pin model axle . Ford nine inch axles are strong as all get out , triple bearing and Nodular cases in some models , but the pinion is really low , the axles are not full floating and the housings are thin . So if you are going to haul a load , the nine inch is not the axle to use . I have seen full floating dana 60 axle tubes welded to a Ford nine inch .
                  All Chev king pin axles were drag link not cross steering and the Dodge axle was drag link until 93 after that the Dodge axles are not really worth using .

My 2 cents .

Comment

a couple dana axle power wagon projects ...

http://www.offroadexchange.com/modfo...hp?topic=796.0

http://www.offroadexchange.com/modfo...hp?topic=910.0

The 41 power wagon project is really cool, both are interesting.

Comment

modern springs using original perches versus ff pw springs

I'm considering making the axle conversion plug and play. The axles I have right now are a dana60 front and gm corporate 14bolt on the rear. The front axle perch center distance is 30 inches front, and 40 inches for the rear. The center distance places the mount point inside the frame at front and back. If I use 2 1/2" springs, and mount these to the frame at new mount points, is this going to cause problems? Has anyone done this?

Comment

Originally posted by safetyfactorman View Post
                        I'm considering making the axle conversion plug and play. The axles I have right now are a dana60 front and gm corporate 14bolt on the rear. The front axle perch center distance is 30 inches front, and 40 inches for the rear. The center distance places the mount point inside the frame at front and back. If I use 2 1/2" springs, and mount these to the frame at new mount points, is this going to cause problems? Has anyone done this?
                        I ended up using a '78 1 ton frame. I cut over 12 inches out of the center of the frame but you get the added strength of the bigger frame and the steering box is an outside the frame mount so there is more clearance for the motor.

I did reindex the rear spring perches as I used a CV rear driveshaft so phasing issues are nonexistant.

Notice I changed the U bolts to a top plate mount. I wanted stainless U bolts and couldn't bend the original style.

Front axle mount is stock other than I eliminated the front cab mounts to made it "blend" in more.

Here's a link to the build album if you want to see more detail.

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio?n=0

Keep us posted on your progress and if you have any ?'s I'll help if I can, Kevin

Comment

Working...
                        X