Bridge plate numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge plate numbers

Im sorry , I know this has popped up before but I cant find the info.
    The yellow bridge plate on the grill, is there a site that tells you just what those numbers mean? I know its the weight class some how. I spent about a half hour searching for just what the numbers mean with no luck.
    I did fine a lot of info that said " they show the weight class" I know that but what do the numbers really mean. I did find one site that said the letter at the top stands for what useage class and gave the example -C- for cross country capability but no other info.
    So does anyone have the info ? Thanks.

On the M37:
    Empty is 03
    Cross Country is 04
    Highway is 04
    If towing a M101 trailer add 1 to the weight and turn the plate so the "C"
    is showing, which means in combination (truck & trailer)
    The weight is the gross weight of the vehicle loaded or empty.
    Rick

Comment

Hey Rick, good info however the last part of your post needs some further "splanin" so here is what I can add. I remember reading in a military engineers handbook that the number displayed on the bridge plate is the result of a complicated (to me) calculation based on vehicle speed, axle spacing, duals or single rear tires, load, towed load or not and probably some other stuff I have forgotten but it's not just what weight of the load that is being carried plus the truck's weight.
      Last edited by carter davidson; 08-12-2011, 01:38 PM. Reason: because I can't type worth ship

Comment

Little by little I am getting more info.
        So if I am pulling a trailer the top panel should say-C- and if I am not?
        And the lower two sets of number plates are some criptic combination of weight class or wheel numbers some how?
        Is there a chart posted some place that I can read the entire code as to what number is what and what they mean?
        Any one know if there is such a site?
        I am not going on a convoy but people ask what are the numbers for and I hate just saying it some mystery code that I am to stupid to understand.

Comment

There is no "cryptic code"!
          The Army published TB 746-93-1, Pages 50 to 60,
          tech bulletin that lists all weight plate numbers for all vehicles
          in service.
          I guess they figured that "high math" was not the forte of
          the lowly enlisted man.
          No vehicle in tow use the blank side of the locking plate.
          Rick

Comment

I looked up TB746-93-1. It goes into great detail about what color and size the bridge plate should be and what size the numbers should be and how many of each number insert there should be and where it should be mounted but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it does NOT say how you figure out what the numbers on the plate stands for other than they indicate weight class ect.
            When I got the truck the plate had-C- on top, 4 on the passengers side and 5 on the driver side of the plate.
            Maybe I am wording my request wrong or something but without sounding argumentative , I know the plate shows the weight class but how do you figure out what numbers to display. So far I have read several different things. I see that you mentioned that the Army did not want to make it too hard for lowly GIs to figure out and it is not criptic. Ya got me fooled. After hours of digging I still can not find an answer to how to select the right numbers and letter. If the plate with a -C- and a 4 and a 5 is correct for a 3/4 ton truck, thats criptic , yes , no?

Comment

Working...
            X