The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday ?

My kids have created an itinerary , add in a few relatives who have penciled me in to their itinerarys too and I have about 15 free minutes left at about 3.00 christmas eve.
    The trans mount seems to work fine. I need to get the motor and trans dead square in the frame before I weld it up . It is close but i need to do a final check . This time I may use a light.

take care
    Bruce

Taking a break from a build is a good idea to keep in mind and practice.

Comment

• A couple of teaser shots

Photo 1 shows the drivers side motor mount . The hydrolic pump and the starter can be removed without adjusting anything else . It is tight but works fine. The mount is above the crank center line . I have been told that placing the mounts above the center line lessons vibration.

Photo 2 shows the crossmember that eliminates frame twist created by the motor mounts, It follows the pan . It is difficult to see but there are 5 bends in the tube .

take care
      Bruce

almost 11000 hits on this little thread
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
        Photo 1 shows the drivers side motor mount . The hydrolic pump and the starter can be removed without adjusting anything else . It is tight but works fine. The mount is above the crank center line . I have been told that placing the mounts above the center line lessons vibration.

Photo 2 shows the crossmember that eliminates frame twist created by the motor mounts, It follows the pan . It is difficult to see but there are 5 bends in the tube .

take care
        Bruce

almost 11000 hits on this little thread
        Good job. Really. I will write to you about an article or several....
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• hello Gordon- That is why I said teaser shot

I am not going to post any more shots of the motor mounts.This was a promise I made to myself . I am going to finish the mounts in the next few days and then take a pile of pictures and burn a disc that will have nothing on it but the photos of the mounts and engine depicting clearances and other things . You will get that disc and a write up . I have another disc burned that contains many photos of this and that - my rear axle dolly- spring hangers- front bumper and front spring hanger crossmember .
          I am not sure what to do with this but I might send it to you.

Several issues back you had a shot of a NP205 sitting in a nifty jig that made it possible to flip the NP205 . I really like those little shots and articles tucked in to the magazine. To get more of these little shots of tools and parts I guess I need to supply some.

That motor mount shot is huge . I have no idea why.
          computers are so confusing.

take care
          Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
            I am not going to post any more shots of the motor mounts.This was a promise I made to myself . I am going to finish the mounts in the next few days and then take a pile of pictures and burn a disc that will have nothing on it but the photos of the mounts and engine depicting clearances and other things . You will get that disc and a write up . I have another disc burned that contains many photos of this and that - my rear axle dolly- spring hangers- front bumper and front spring hanger crossmember .

I am not sure what to do with this but I might send it to you.

Several issues back you had a shot of a NP205 sitting in a nifty jig that made it possible to flip the NP205 . I really like those little shots and articles tucked in to the magazine. To get more of these little shots of tools and parts I guess I need to supply some.

That motor mount shot is huge . I have no idea why.
            computers are so confusing.

take care
            Bruce
            Please do.... I am interested in all that you have done. It is a rare opportunity to publish some articles that will be as fascinating as this thread. Thank you....
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• YAHHOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

" I gots a big happy on my face " The motor mounts are done , they work ,all hassles with them are behind me , nothing more to grind , file or finess. After work tomorrow I will pop them out and sandblast them, shoot a few photos and toss some paint on them too .
              I still have to adjust the transmission mount. I am not sure how but the final result was not straight. This is a bit odd because the mount is a simple piece fabbed from two pieces of metal . Somehow the welder managed to heat them enough that they became pretzalized.
              I tried to order a 3X8 stainless flex joint on line. The company only accepts paypal . I figured that it was time to join . I spent an hour reading their sign up and filled out their forms . The only part I skipped was providing my bank account number. I think firing that bit of imformation off is down right wrong . Any ways I get back an email saying that I had successfully joined paypal (or something to that effect ) but I have no account number or any directions how on earth paypal works .
              Yes I googled paypal
              Yes I read How stuff works
              Yes I read wickedapeedea
              And read about 20 other sites but I still do not get it . I have no account number with Paypal so how on earth do I pay with it and get my credit card number to them and the correct account?
              Not only that , paypal seems to not recognize my password- which it did yesterday .
              Maybe it is a fake Paypal , but I would have thought a fake Paypal would be better at missleading me.
              So I guess the only guys who get my money are those that take personal checks or money orders. This is too bad and costly for me . I ended up ordering a 3x6 flex joint from my local family owned parts place for 55 bucks .They could not trace out a 3 x8 flex joint . I wanted the 3x8 one from Ontario listed at 23 bucks plus 14 bucks shipping . Of course the same one in California have a " Buy it now " price of 15.99 .
              But the shipping costs and the brokerage fees would have driven the price up 3 to 5 times. So dealing with Ontario was my only reasonable choice.
              But that will not happen either. Cause they only take Paypal - which I do not have.

Paypal free Bruce
              on the snowy ,wet coast

Comment

• WC 26 Carryall

Greetings
                I have been working on putting together my somewhat wrecked Carryall and am making progress. After looking at Gordons site in Scotland I have pulled apart the window winders and now have 2 left hand and 2 right hand that work. However what I do need are window frames. I have one pair but need another pair for the other side ayone out there know where I might find these?
                Cheers
                Rob
                South Australia

Comment

• The window frames are tough to find Rob !

I have been keeping a watchful eye out for one rear window frame for quite awhile . To date I have come up with no leads. Cost and shipping would add to the issue too . Both for you and myself shipping and the boarder will drive the price up 2 to 3 hundred percent. I have found that there are a few other vehicle makes and models that used the same style frames . It may be possible to get a couple of door frames and tig weld them up to fit the carryall.
                  I managed to paint the 4bt motor mounts in epoxy today and shoot some photos before I slopped paint at the things . Tomorrow I plan on tossing them into the frame and add a few more photos of the whole shebang. Exhaust and repairing the crooked trans mount will be next on my list.
                  If you have any photos to share please feel free to toss them on this thread.
                  On a non Dodge related topic I completed a overnight survival course yesterday . I have done a few and this one was reasonable but wet . This was in a mountain system and on snow but it started to rain around 2.00 I got a great fire going but the rest of the trainies could not keep it going due to lack of knowledge and effort in collecting fuel . Basically I was tired enough at 4.00 that I called it quits and crawled into my sleeping bag and 1 hour later a fire that would burn anything was out . I stayed in the sleeping bag till 8 the next morning and we bailed at 9.00. I managed to spend 16 hours in my sleeping bag and was not bored . A little cold at first.
                  Anyways the point of this is I would recommend checking your survival gear and technique when you are out playing in your Powerwagon . I screwed up on a few small things that I will pay more attention to next time. Considering that I was the guide and experienced at what I am doing it is interesting how often I find it necessary to practice what I teach .
                  Overnighting when wet is next to impossible and on a rescue getting soaked through is not uncommon. I am going to refine some of my staying warm tricks and see what I can learn from a few other climbers and outdoor redknecks I know.

Take care
                  and be safe out there
                  Bruce

Comment

• WC26 Parts

Thanks Bruce,
                    guess I had better keep my hand up for these if any turn up, as for other vehicles using a similar frame which ones would they be? Also what are the chances of getting handles for the winder mechanism, as to date I have one. Also on hard to find pieces do the folding passenger seat, or other rear seats ever tun up as these bits are also missing. My WC26 is made from two vehicles. The first one was found not far from here but in totally rusted condition as it had been near the sea for around 20 years. From this one came the chassis and running gear as well as some body parts. The other body was found in the Northern Territory in much better condition BUT one side was badly damaged, the story goes that they hit a tree with the spare tyre. So far most of the body is now straightened out and spot welded back together but there is still a lot of dent knocking to do. Someone else from Australia may correct me but as far as I am aware this is the only WC26 down here.
                    Cheers
                    Rob

Comment

• Rob this might help you

Go to Utube and try searching for Fraser Island Carryall or some combination . This may provide you with a lead to dead carryalls in Australia.
                      My motor mounts are in and the cross member fits awesume . The bolt holes all lined up even after I finished welding the thing .

take care

Bruce

Comment

• Fraser Island Carryall

Ok didthat found a web site for the Queensland jeep club and have sent them an email. a few pictures of 1/2 ton Dodges on their photo page so hopefully should hear from them.
                        Cheers Rob

Comment

• Queensland WC53

That is the contact that you where looking for. There is a WC53 tucked away in that video . WW2 vehicle clubs in Australia may be another source of information .
                          I need to get a fire going and then I am off to put a few hours in on the Carryall floor. I could not avoid it , the trans pretty much had to end up that high for optimum clearance and driveline angle . Basically 23 inches of clearance under the skid plate . I need a 90degree elbo for the exhaust ,because of this I am not working on the exhaust system today.

best regards

Bruce

Comment

• Another WC53 from a newbie

Hi, fellows,
                            Hope I am not busting in here and finding myself in a wrong place. After sitting in the oil fields for 10 years, I got back the old family Carryall, which was bought right after WW2 with 15 miles on it. Used primarily for chasing drilling rigs in the South Arkansas mud and river bottoms, then used for duck hunting trips until the early 60s. Was sold where there wasn't room for it anymore, but recently got it back and moved it to my farm to restore, both in memories and because it deserves the best. After thirty minutes of tinkering with the fire, it was running with 40# of oil pressure and no smoke coming out the exhaust. Of all things, aired up the tires and ran it down the road. Quite a thrill for this 68 year old guy. Sure can use help on the restoration. Date plate was very dinged, but looks like the numbers wer WC or WO 648 and 81579663. The hood surface rusted badly, but to my surprise the original hood numbers came through the rust. Hope to post more pics as it comes along. Thanks..Eric
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Anyone know what font these hood numbers are? They are fatter than the ones on the jeeps..thanks..Eric
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Welcome on board Eric

You have your work cut out for you but the truck is quite complete and you have a great start there. Personally I would strongly recommend keeping the truck intact and working on one piece at a time. To get rid of some of the rust take a look at removing rust using electrolis and soda. All you need is a big old plastic bathtub and a battery charger. Keep us posted and fire in those pictures.
                                Thanks again
                                Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X