The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Bruce:

Hey, this is right up in your neck of the woods.

I have for sale a 1942 carryall it is complete with tailgate and liftgate. the running gear is complete. I have not tryed to get it running but was told it had fuel pump issues when it last was ran.The wood bedfloor is gone except for a piece or two. The only seats that remain are the front buckets and they are just the shell everythingthat was cloth or foam is gone. The glass is mostly boken or missing and the roof opening is gone but it is still the original opening. The rear fenders are there. The machine is definatly a good restoration project for someone with a little skill and alot more time than i have. I am very new to the computor but will try to have some pictures posted in the near future of this carryall. Stuart Turner Golden b.c. Canada Price asking $3000.00 canadian.

Ya need to hook up your email link here.

Later
    Ugg

Comment

• Where did that come from ?

Some pictures would be nice . I need another WC 53 like I need a hole in the head , but I do like to know what is out there for a future reference . You are correct that the truck is in my kneck of the woods . About a 14 hour drive one way . I think the distance might keep me out of trouble .
      Got my 4.88 gears and ARBs today . The drivers front fender is now sealed and finished, except for some minor tweaking and a top coat .
      A couple of update photos will get published this week .

take care

Bruce

Comment

• Golden is just up the road from Vernon about 2-3 hours I think.
        I wonder if its the half ton or the 3/4 ton?

Comment

• Jake:

It said WC 53, which is the 3/4 ton'er.

BC Bruce:

I was browsin around. No pictures, sorry.

Later
          Ugg

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake View Post
            Golden is just up the road from Vernon about 2-3 hours I think.
            I wonder if its the half ton or the 3/4 ton?
            See Uggs post, FYI: VC is 1/2, WC is 3/4. It is confusing as Dodge originally used "C" for 1/2 ton and "D" for 1 ton, then I suppose (picture this conversation) the engineers were sitting around saying, "hey, we now have 3/4 tons,..what's the letter between C and D?"
            DOH!

Comment

• Norm:

Your cornfusin me now, ain't there 1/2 ton WC's too? WC 10 is a 1/2 ton Carryall.

Later
              Ugg

Comment

• Now that you mention it I knew that the WC 53 was a 3/4 ton. Must have had a short in the wiring for a minute, hopefully nothing to serious. :)

Comment

• Jake:

Must be all the rain, a temporary short. HA! After all this time back in the midwest, all the webs between my toes have totally disappeared. 8>(

Later
                  Ugg

Comment

• Originally posted by Ugg013 View Post
                    Norm:

Your cornfusin me now, ain't there 1/2 ton WC's too? WC 10 is a 1/2 ton Carryall.

Later
                    Ugg
                    Ugg,
                    The WC is designated correctly, it's a W, for 1941-1947 and a C for 1/2 ton.
                    T= 1939
                    V= 1940
                    W=1941,...however because of the War, they really didn't change the truck until 1947, so they kept the "W" until then...except on the WDX which started in 1946 and ran under various monikers until 1968 (71) as a WM300.
                    C= 1/2 ton
                    D= 1 ton
                    3/4 tons were uh......= )

Comment

• C & 1/2! ;>)

Ugg

Comment

• Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                        ...but remember we can't weld on these frames so.....
                        Hello all. I'm a newbie here, pining away in New York City until the day I move somewhere with a garage again and can get back to wrenching. In the mena time, I am reading up all I can about PWs as I think this is the next vehicle for me. (I'm already hooked!)

Question is this: I read Norm's post that PW frames cannot be welded on. Why? Is there a technical reason or is it just poor form?

Comment

• Hi acl4:

This is a great place to gain knowledge. Now sumpthin ya need to know from the get go is that ya have to take everything that that MoPar Norm guy says with a grain of salt. Ever hear the old sayin about if ya can't blind em with brilliance, baffle em with, well, I'll let ya fill in the rest. HA! Seriously, in spite of what some others may say, Norm's also a great source of info, ya just gotta know when he's pulling a leg or 2. HA!

So where ya lookin to relocate to? Some of us have been talking about starting a PW/WC Cult/Commune/Retirement Village. If ya get a chance, there's this little get together in Iowa this June that ya might just want to get to.

Later & Enjoy
                          Ugg

Comment

• any garage will do...

Ugg,

I grew up in SoCal working on vws, an old 1940s Ford Bus, anything else that was unlucky enough to roll into my driveway. I first got wind of the Power Wagon phenomenon a few years back, after I had moved to NYC (we're out here for my fiance's grad school program). What I really want is to rebuild a WC-53. I keep up on the Forums and read PWA, but with street parking and ALL my money going to pay the sky-high rents out here, I'll just have to keep my dreams on the page for now.

We did recently relocate from Manhattan to Brooklyn (one step closer to freedom), but unless we head back to LA (a very real possibility), I don't think I'll have reason to reclaim my welder and other tools on loan to my friends any time soon.

So until then, keep posting and I'll keep learning. I feel like the longer I read along and learn about PWs, the cheaper it will eventually be for me
                            to rebuild one myself. When I rebuilt my first car, I made every mistake I could at least twice (and at twice the price). It was basically fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants-while-blindfolded restoration. This time, maybe I'll at least recognize the mistakes I'm making as I make them.

Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by acl4 View Post
                              Hello all. I'm a newbie here, pining away in New York City until the day I move somewhere with a garage again and can get back to wrenching. In the mena time, I am reading up all I can about PWs as I think this is the next vehicle for me. (I'm already hooked!)

Question is this: I read Norm's post that PW frames cannot be welded on. Why? Is there a technical reason or is it just poor form?
                              Hi Andrew,
                              Ugg can only post when his meds wear off and the nurse leaves for her lunch break....
                              The Dodge Frames from around 1939 to at least 1993 were made from a special alloy steel that was heat treated. The information comes from the Dodge Technical Manuals of that Era. While many frames have been welded upon and there is actually a Dodge weld repair procedure, it was still not a procedure recommended for the average welder.
                              And for the record, I don't post procedures or give opinions about things I haven't either read about or attempted myself. I may not always write it correctly, but I don't make things up, I leave that for Ugg and his tin foil hat...

Comment

• Hey Andrew:

I feel for ya bro. I can only imagine life in NYC. Chicago was bad enough. Never been to NYC (no desire, to crowded), and I got within 5 miles of LA and said "NAW" and pulled a U'y. Uggville's current location was a compromise with the Mrs, but as soon as Maynard (my son) graduates HS, I'm outa here!

See what I said about that Norm. Then again, the guy wears a tight pink tu tu so how can ya take him seriously? (Norm, I still get the snakes from that thought.) I'm kinda partial to the 53's too. That Norm guy had one but dumped it for a song, or did he just trash it??????

Andrew, if ya haven't guessed by now, there's a general warped sense of humor here, and all kidding aside, there is a very good knowledge base here with VERY helpful people. After all, we're all struggling with this affliction. Well, I gotta go and put more foil on my hat. Them space guys got close this time.

Later
                                Ugg

Comment

Working...
                                X