58 power giant brake issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 power giant brake issues

Can anyone help with some advise on what to do to get my brakes working properly. I had it checked out at a local garage and they replaced a damaged vacuum line and ran smog thru the lines and it only came out thru the engine. Im still losing vacuum when i apply the brakes and it barley stops the truck. If i push hard enough it feels like its locking them up and then doesnt want to release them untill i start moving a bit. what parts should i be concerned about or replace or rebuild?

Put vacuum to the booster and see if it holds. Sounds the power brake unit is the culprit from your description.
    Stock engine?

Comment

58 brakes

Its got a isuzu I6 diesel

Comment

58 brakes

Can you recommend someone who can rebuild these parts

Comment

Did you buy that silver W300 with the Isuzu diesel in it? I am aware of that truck but no idea what parts are in it. A factory power brake unit for a 58 will be under the floor outside the frame rail, run as a master/slave setup off of a manual brake master cylinder actuated by the brake pedal inside the frame. The pedals on a 58 should go through the floor. Does your truck have hanging pedals?

Comment

58 giant

Hi. Yes it was the silver one now a very nice root beer brown. I have it out in Cali and it does have the hanging pedals.

Comment

Since it is a diesel, it probably has a vacuum pump , check how well it is working. I change quite a few on the older Ford diesels, they just stop just like that and then no power brakes just like that. EEEEKS

Comment

58 giant

Hey Andy. I think it does have the vacuum pump. How can I fix it?

Comment

The hanging pedals started in 59, so either yours has been converted or it is a transition model. I suppose you could check for holes in the floor to see if it had 58 style through the floor pedals originally. This, however has very little to do with solving your dilemma. As the other good gentlemen have suggested, checking the vacuum pump and the booster are the first two logical lines of attack. Another possibility you might want to consider is converting to hydroboost brakes. If you have power steering already it should not be terribly difficult... just normally difficult. A hydroboost unit, which runs off the power steering pump rather than vacuum, provides quite a bit more braking force than a vacuum booster ever will, and is especially helpful on diesel powered vehicles because diesels tend to generate less (if naturally aspirated) or no (if turbocharged) engine vacuum and usually must utilize a vacuum pump.

Comment

First,check for vacuum on the line to the booster, at the booster, if you have vacuum there, reconnect it to the booster and then shut off the engine and pump the brake pedal until you have a hard pedal, hold your foot on the brake pedal and start the engine, if the pedal goes down some after starting the engine it indicates the booster is working.

Comment

58 giant

Actually it does have the floor pedals. which parts should i have rebuilt and is there some where i can send them? Thanks for everyones input. Brit

Comment

58 giant

Originally posted by joemcc View Post
                        First,check for vacuum on the line to the booster, at the booster, if you have vacuum there, reconnect it to the booster and then shut off the engine and pump the brake pedal until you have a hard pedal, hold your foot on the brake pedal and start the engine, if the pedal goes down some after starting the engine it indicates the booster is working.
                        I will try that. Thanks. Brit

Comment

Working...
                        X