FFPW wipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFPW wipers

How does one know if a power wagon had a wiper or dual wiper option. I've got one that has wiper shaft holes above the windshield and removable cover panels inside but there is nothing there. Can someone tell me if this indicates that it had wipers and they have been removed. Does anyone know what the correct vacuum motor would be for a 51. Thanks,

Welcome to the PW "family"!
    YOu pose a good question. I have a '52, which is the same series of truck that you have. In my case I had the deluxe cab, which means it had a few extras such as an arm rest for the drive, etc. I believe it also means it might have had electric wipers as an option originally, but my truck has vacuum motors.
    The vacuum motors are Trico brand. I had them rebuilt by the "wiperman" in N.Y. City.
    I would suggest you buy a shop manual and parts book for your truck; VPW should have them or check on Ebay. Eric Bannerman who goes by "townwagon" on his Ebay store also has a lot of PW literature. I can check my parts book later, and I will see.
    I wonder if your truck was bare bones, or if the wiper motors were removed and they put a solid cover for the valence area - that is the area up above the windshield where the wiper motors were.
    Perhaps someone else will post as to whether they could be ordered without a wiper, but I doubt it.
    Another option for you, check in the archives on this site as well as Joe's PW forum site.

Comment

My '46 WDX only has one hole in the cab. It came to me with a 6v electric motor, which I changed to a 12v motor when I rewired the truck to 12v.
      I am sure it originally was a vacuum motor, but that is beside the point.'
      I can't imagine Dodge building and selling a truck without wiper motors, especially one that had holes in the cab. If they weren't going to install motors, they undoubtedly would not have made the holes in the cab.
      I'm sure someone removed the motors from that truck at some point. Is there a switch on the dash that might have controlled electric wiper motors?
      Jerry

Comment

The way I understand is that the right wiper was an option until later in the fifties when two became standard equipment.
        Vacuum wipers were standard,electric was an option with the switch in the same hole on the wiper cover were the vacuum push/pull rod and knob would be

As Jerry said his truck only had one hole which would be correct if the Passenger side wiper wasn't optioned.
        Also if your truck has two empty holes someone obviously removed them.
        Tom
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

on a 54 Would the electric wipers still have been an additional option or standard if you got the deluxe cab with dual wipers?

Comment

Wipers

My 53 Deluxe cab came with two vacuum wipers. As Doc Dave said, the wiperman in NY does a spectacular job of rebuilding these. Look brand new when they come back.
            Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
            2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

So I guess it would have been 1 vacuum wiper standard 2 vacuum wiper optional and 2 electric wipers an additional option? On a side note. When I contacted him about rebuilding the vac wipers that I have he said he can no longer rebuild these specific ones for ffpw

Comment

New 2-speed, 12-volt heavy duty wiper system

We've just finished a newly in house designed and built 12-volt, heavy duty electric wiper system for Power Wagon and closed cab WC models. Uses a single motor design (on passenger side) and linkage system (in the windshield header tunnel). Wipers operate in unison. Also incorporates heavy arms and blades. We have filmed a 15 minute video showing the system and installation instructions. It will be posted on our website as soon as our webmaster can get it done.

Comment

I will be waiting to see this video. Let us know when it posts. I am looking for a system for my 48. VERY INTERESTED.

Comment

Any more news on the wiper set up Charles?

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                      Any more news on the wiper set up Charles?
                      The system is complete, video and text instruction manual is complete. I'm not certain when the video will be posted on our site; we are working on getting site upgrade info ready to get to the webmaster. This would include updating several areas on the site to include the orange/brown '56 PW project that went out a few weeks ago. Once we get all the info together for the upgrade, then it goes to the webmaster, how fast it happens from there depends on his work load at the time. Our work load here is off the charts, thus my time for working on extra stuff is limited right now, we'll make it all happen as soon as we can. I'll try to get this in the priority category to get Melissa working on it.

Comment

Any news on the wiper system Charles? price? link to the video?

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                          Any news on the wiper system Charles? price? link to the video?
                          The cost is $850 for the complete kit with instructional CD and manual. I agree this sounds pricey; this is a top of the line set up that requires a lot of custom fabrication to put together. Still working on the website upgrade, still covered deep at the shop too.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
                            We've just finished a newly in house designed and built 12-volt, heavy duty electric wiper system for Power Wagon and closed cab WC models. Uses a single motor design (on passenger side) and linkage system (in the windshield header tunnel). Wipers operate in unison. Also incorporates heavy arms and blades. We have filmed a 15 minute video showing the system and installation instructions. It will be posted on our website as soon as our webmaster can get it done.
                            Any plans for a 6-volt version?

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                              Any plans for a 6-volt version?
                              The heavy duty, broad sweep motor we have used is available in 12 or 24-volt for sure. I don't think a 6-volt version is offered as there is no demand for 6 on modern equipment, but I'll check to be certain. If a 6-volt motor is available, the rest is not a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X