John Dodge and The Dodge Brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NNICKB View Post
    This is a great quote, but in fairness to old Henry I don't think he ever intended for the Model T to be a real automobile. This caused him to butt heads not only with the Dodge brothers, but his own son, who was a lot more of a car guy than he was. Henry's forte was production and processes. Even today Ford Motor is more about plant efficiency than it is about having the latest technology or design.

There is one story about Henry and the Dodge brothers which I think is pretty neat. Seems the Dodges supplied him with transmissions, and Henry gave them specifications as to how they were to be crated, right down to the species of wood, drilling of holes in certain places, etc. The Dodge boys, who were glad to have the contract, dutifully complied. The crates were carefully disassembled at the plant, and the wood became the floor boards and running boards for the car!
    That story is 100% true, Henry Ford was a skinflint who wasted nothing.

Sorry we missed you Kevin, It was a great time! I know life gets in the way sometimes, it does for me too
    I now need to buy a 4wd truck, went 4 wheelin in Ron's townie which I had never done before.
    This was the best rally Ron has had yet!
    I know Pieter took pics
    DB69

Comment

In light of what has happened in the last year and a half, I am curious as to what the Dodge Brothers, Walter P. Chrysler and John North Willys would say about what has been done with their companies, Dodge Brothers Company, Chrysler Motor Company and the Willys-Overland Company?
      I'm guessing they would be extremely ticked to put it nicely, or if you prefer PO'd!
      I have been thinking of The Dodge Brothers again on what was John Dodge's 146th birthday, and the 93rd anniversary of the first Dodge Brothers truck.
      I am so thankful to have 2 old Dodge trucks to drive
      Tom

Comment

Another historical update.
        On Thursday the 14th, Dodge will begin their 100th year as a manufacturer of motor vehicles.
        There is now only one charter Dodge Brothers dealership left
        The other two mentioned above have been sold to other interests, and while they are still Dodge dealers, they lost their "charter" status
        A charter dealer was one who began operations in the first year or so
        (not exactly sure of the cutoff date) 1914-1915.
        Oliver C Joseph Co is located in Belleville Illinois and the current owner is the grandson of the founder of the business, who is also named Oliver C. Joseph. They are listed as the world's oldest Dodge dealer and started in business June 1, 1914. They will celebrate their 100th birthday next June.
        I recently traded my Dodge Ram for a newer and much nicer Dodge Dakota SLT. I find that at age 61, that while I really like old Dodge trucks, that comfort has started to be the big concern.
        I have kind of given up, at least temporarily, the idea of a 4wd truck, the main reason being finances. My new truck which has a little over 75,000 miles on it, was a nice find and a great price. It has all the power options except for power seats, and everything works except the keyless remote which probably has a dead battery. After 25 years, it seems really strange not to own a Dodge Ram, but they don't fit in my garage unless I find a short bed. In Indiana it is important to have a garage to put your vehicle in, especially this time of year!
        I am looking forward to spring and hopefully Ron Reichardt will have a rally at his place. I would really like to see how he has his garage set up to work on old Dodge trucks.
        The Dakota may not be what most of you have on here but I can say that since it is a Dodge truck, I certainly do enjoy driving it.
        TommyDodge

Comment

Just one small correction, Tommy. The current owner's name is Brad Joesph. His deceased brother, who passed approximately 15 years ago ,was named Oliver Curt Joesph, however. Brad recently purchased the neighboring Buick/Gmc dealer that was founded in 1901, if I remember correctly? Thanks Doug

Comment

Sorry I got ahead of myself, I was referring to Brad's granddad.
            They did indeed buy the Buick dealership, I was not aware
            that the recently purchased dealership was close to the Dodge dealership, since I haven't been there since 2009
            The Dodge Brothers Club had their National meet at the old OCJ location that was in downtown Belleville in 2002, which is how I first met both Brad and his dad Dee. I only wish the place wasn't so far away (about 375 miles)

Comment

Great Post

Thanks Tommy, Doug, anyway you tell it, it's still history! One of these days I want to make it to Ron's shop.

Comment

Working...
              X