No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does the v8 conversion use the stock trans? If not that's a very large pivot point, IMO. Now if it does then i could easily see where you have a sort of "reverse" triangle mount similar to a modern vehicle.

Comment

• Most are using a NP420 or NP435 which were stock trans in the W series and the NP420 was the stock trans in the WDX series.

I just recieved from Santa a few details of stock Cummins front mounts.

Comment

• Thanks Norm

I think this is a very viable option for some PW folks who wish to use the 4bt . As long as they have some ears on their bell housing or can fab some for a later model trans they should be ok .
        Not for me but my truck is kinda modified and getting more modified by each day.
        This is a great help and I apreciate your contribution. Is santa in NY these days . <ggg>
        I love being able to bounce ideas off others . This saves me hours of greif by knowing which direction to look.

Comment

• Santa thinks he is in Vermont.....= )

Comment

• A couple of engine measurements

A Cummins in a stock first gen sits at 50 inches to the top of the valve cover. That is fully loaded with a tidy tank and tired springs.
            The engine that I have in the preceding pictures is 54 inches to the top of the valve cover . The Carryall is far from fully loaded and is sitting on tires that lift the truck up by 4 inches . The Carryall frame sits 7 inches higher than the 90 Dodge truck . ( At least mine does, without a doubt most PW frames would sit lower than that by about 2 inches ) So in relationship to the frame the cummins 4bt sits 3 inches lower than the cummins in the 90 Dodge truck .
            The axle on the 90 dodge has about 3 inches of clearance to the oil pan . This is not a bad number to keep in mind . Either 3 inches or the original PW pan clearance should not be smaller. You could create some clearance problems by going smaller.
            So I think there is gobs of wiggle room here. The front mount should work for you stockers. The only issue I see is if you are running a water cooler on the top of the block . I do not have one but I think it would hit the hood or be very close to doing so . A little tear drop bulge might be necesssary.

That is enough work for today .

Bruce

Comment

• is the power steering gear going to hit the powersteering pump?

Comment

• power steering pump

There are no power steering pump issues when using the stock 4bt power steering pump. It clears the new steering box with no issues . I just got back from the shop and did a test fit . What looked good on paper seems to work fine when it is mocked up in real space.
                The motor mounts , steering box, steering linkage and frame are going to have a few issues . I need to look at each item on it's own a figure out what interferes with what when the whole thing is assembled .
                The drag link system was not an option when the exhaust pipe is taken into consideration.
                I will update in a few days .
                I was in the bush for the last week.

Bruce

Comment

• Cheap sources for used hydro boost brake parts

While going through my neighbourhood scrap yard I found out that chevy Astro vans and their Safari counterpart have hydroboost systems in them . I do not know what pressure they operate at so the booster may not be suitable for a 4 wheel disc brake set up in a PW or Carryall . As a general rule the one ton truck boosters are what is used when converting to hydro boost on a PW . The lines and fittings from the Astro van should fit and may be a good source for fittings or a remote power steering tank.
                  As an aside I have been told that it may take as much as 500 miles of driving to get all the little air bubbles out of the system. Some vehicles now come with Power steering pump coolers built into the line and filters too. I am not sure of what vehicles use the coolers or filters at this time.

Back at the truck next week.

Bruce

Comment

• Duel transfer cases. NWF Blackbox + 205 in a Power Wagon

Ok here is a couple of shots of my duel transfercase set up . Because of time constraints I have elected to keep the stock floor intact as much as possible and place the motor and transfercases accordingly.

In photo #1 you can see the Northwest fab black box . This mates to the NV4500 trans using a female 29 spline input shaft. The out put shaft is a 31 spline male output shaft which mates to the NP205 transfer case . As far as I know all the Carryall floor plates will clear trans and both transfercases. I drilled out the spot welds on the old floor plates and will use bolts when replacing them . This will make accessing the parts much easier . I plan on adding a small plate to access each of the drive shaft U joints.

In photo #2 you can see the original transfer case cover back in place and covering the NP205 . Basically the intermediate transfer case takes up no more room than the normal adapters would between a NV4500 and a 205 . The ratios are 2.72 - 1 for the Blackbox and 1.98 -1 for the 205 . Combined there is about a 5.25 - 1 ratio . I orderedsome 1/4 inch plate in to make my trans mount and skidplate combo. $150 bucks for a 2x4 piece of 1/4 plate.

I may run the motor 1 inch to the drivers side in an attempt to create some exhaust pipe clearance.

Bruce
                    Attached Files

Comment

• got the 12000lb milemarker mounted im trying to get it on the road for sept 1st!

http://web.mac.com/ltalessi/Site/Winch_Mount.html

Comment

• Fix your link Lee. All I get is a black page

matter of fact all I get on your link on page one of this thread is your weight loss pictures . Not exactly PW content . It would be great to have your photo's posted here and we would not loose them . Let me know when you have some pictures up and I will repost your link.

I am working on my skid plate trans mount . My first one flexed more than I anticipated . That is 1/4th plate with a 1 inch flange . I was surprised to se it bow about 3/16.

take care

Bruce

Comment

• hmmmmm. the link works for me... i dont know. i have all the pics, i need to re-do my web page in a more buildup friendly way....

does the milemarker winch page work for anyone else?

Comment

• Works 4 Me

BTW, I like the tubular frame mount, your idea?

Comment

• I tried again about 10 times - got nada

The weight loss works but there is nada on the carryall anywhere .

This is too bad . I need my Carryall fix from someplace besides mwah.

Comment

• Try This

http://web.mac.com/ltalessi/Site/Winch_Mount.html#1

Comment

Working...
                                X