No announcement yet.

Tranny R&R questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heard of them but have no experience. Have you?
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Took this week off for Fall Break to go camping but the kids social calendar filled up too fast so I have a few free days to catch up on chores.

Got the transmission and transfercase assembly out of the donor. Geez-o-pete what a PITA! Doing it outside on gravel didn't make it easy. Plus one of the heifers decided to evacuate herself as she walked by the passenger side so I had that to work around that too...

I ended up raising the rear end a foot or so with the tractor to drag the whole mess out.

I'll put my M880 in the shop to install the tranny now that the Jeep KJ diesel is back together and running. The floor is dirt but fairly smooth and level.

In the mean time I'll clean and wash the outside case and start installing seals. I ordered a seal for the shifter but it doesn't look right, we'll see.
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I have removed a transmission/t-case combo before on concrete. I can imagine the headaches of doing it on gravel.

I have pulled on engine on gravel, used a second vehicle to pull the hoist back away from the one I was working on.

I envy shops with overhead cranes.

Bucky

Comment

We just have to be more creative...

I might have screwed up. In my typical backwards fashion, while it was raining last night, I sat and read my Haynes manual. It said to separate the TC from the motor and take it out with the transmission. Otherwise all kinds of horrible things would happen.

Well, it had been so long since I had removed a motor or an auto tranny I left the TC on the motor and slid the tranny backwards off it in the parts truck. I never let the trans hang by it. Do youall think I did any major damage? Can I just take the TC off the truck I'm fixing and put it on this tranny I have out?

If I did screw this one up I guess I'll just drop the tranny in my truck and learn how to rebuild it...

If I didn't, I'm considering seperating the trans and transfercase to hopefully make things more manageable. The combination is heavy!
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Well, I finally got the heap back together last weekend. Seems to run fine.
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

That's good to hear!

Bucky

Comment

Yea, I was really missing it. Especially for wood hauling. The maiden voyage the power steering mounting plate broke, so I disassembled and welded that back. But now I notice that my thermostat seems to be stuck open. Always something...
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Isn't that one of the best parts of owning an old truck, you will never be finished with it, and whenever you repair another piece, find an additional piece of the truck puzzle, it only adds to the smiles per mile factor.
                  1967 W200.aka.Hank
                  1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                  2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

True!

And I spoke too soon. It drives fine on the farm and our deadend road. Took it to town Friday and it wouldn't shift into 3rd. Well, I finally got it to but at 60mph!!!

So, been adjusting and readjusting with little affect. I guess I may have to pull the valve body and clean that...
                    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Does it by chance have a vacuum modulator on the transmission?
                      I have had those create a shift point similar to that, due to failing and or being unplugged. Some I believe can be adjusted much like a distributor advance?
                      1967 W200.aka.Hank
                      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

the MOPAR 727 tranny has a mechanical kick down linkage that needs to be adjusted correctly and in working order OR serious tranny damage will happen as it controls LINE pressure in the tranny to engage the clutch packs and to UP shift and down shift the tranny - this is very important to get working correctly

Comment

No vacuum modulator.

I've adjusted the kickdown linkage and bands to no avail. Guess I need to clean the valve body now.
                          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I wonder if the governor is working properly (trans had been setting for some time)? The only other likely culprit is the 2-3 shift valve spring pressure.
                            I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                            Will
                            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

also on the valve body make sure the kick down piston is not stuck = so the kick down isn't do,in nothing

Comment

I've rebuilt motors and manuals but never been inside an automatic. They are magic as far as I'm concerned...

I feel like it is the linkage. When I swapped, the kickdown bellcrank needed to be drilled out to accept the rod. The one with the truck wouldn't slip on the new tranny kickdown shaft. But it is clocked the same.

When I unhook it, the bellcrank pivots way forward than it is allowed to when all assembled. I need to investigate that more. I can't locate the doner linkage to compare the two side by side, it was last fall when I pulled it.

And yes, the truck has sat for several years now. Trans runs great other than only 2 speeds.
                                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                                X