Tires, Vibrations and MPG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires, Vibrations and MPG's

Well, I guess my MegaCab is ready for Winter and then some. I hadn't planned on it nor did I expect to have to do it when I was on the road last week, but I had to do something.

Before I left for TX I had a slight vibration like the truck had thrown a wheel weight (it's done it before), so I had the truck checked out and they found all 6, yes 6, tires were out of balance. So an hour and a half later I was ready for the TX trip vibration free.

Well, the 860 mile trip down went well, little to no vibrations, and I discovered while running with my heavy empty trailer I could average (hand calculated) 17.2+ miles per gallon running 60 MPH! I only get 14.5'ish at 65-68 mph. Now that's almost 20% increase in fuel mileage and a loss of 12% in time/distance.

On the way back I noticed a vibration growing and growing. It was so bad on the trip back I could not drive 65, and the last part I would only do 55! I stopped a few times looking for a bad u-joint, carrier bearing or tire, but could not visually see any problems. On the plus side while driving 60 MPH loaded I averaged 14.2+MPG! Again running 65-68 I only get 11.5'ish. That's over 20% increase.

Now I had read that the Cummins get their best fuel economy running at peak torque, now for my truck that's 1600 RPM. At 60 MPH I'm doing ~1,670 RPM. Now I don't know if it's this or the less wind resistance, or a combination but at these savings, 60 MPH is only bad when EVERYTHING on the road passes you.

Once home I double checked the drive shaft and found no issues. So I went back to the tire shop to the tire shop to see if it had indeed thrown some weights.

Well, I had suspected that the almost worn out inside duals (59K mile) might be a problem. Didn't expect the outside dials (38K miles) or the fronts (44K miles) to be an issue, and if so I'd likely just put two new tires on even though I wasn't planning on continuing to run the BFG AT's.

Well, to my surprise it was my front tires that had both slipped belts! Well, I wasn't going to replace them, and soon be replacing the inside duals, so I bit the bullet and went for 6 new tires. Yes, $$$$$ Ouch!

Last month I had seen the Yokahama Geolander AT/S tires on our oldest daughters Jeep Grand Cherokee and liked the slightly aggressive look and tread pattern. Thinking to my self, well if I ever get new tires I check and see if they made them in Load Range E and my size.

Well, the tire shop actually recommended them (the newer version) right off the bat when I asked about tire recommendations. Yes, they were in my size and load range and thankfully cheaper than the BFG's I'd been running. Well with a few personal recommendations and the tire shop's I said do it.
    So now the MegaCab has 6 new Yokohama Geolandar AT G015's in 245/75r17 Load Range E.

I love the improved look (even with the black wall out, not a fan of OWL) even better than the BFG's. So here's hoping for a 60K+ mile run on these. They should roll easier and throw fewer rocks, so I might even get better mileage, I hope so with fuel prices going the way they are.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

I have been a fan of Yokohama tires for a long time, the old Super Diggers were great and lasted forever it seemed like.
    Made in USA too, I hope they still are.

Comment

Thanks, I've been hearing great reviews on the Geolander's, but unfortunately these are not made in the US, they are made in Thailand.

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Will, can you keep us up to date on wear of these tires?

Your tow rig always works beautifully. Thank you for sharing.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Will do, and Thanks.

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com