intercooler for 4bt conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intercooler for 4bt conversion

Getting all the goodies together for my 4bt conversion and am contemplating adding an intercooler.

Wondering what any of you guys have used other than the standard air to water cooler cummins has.

Any information or pictures would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

I don't think Lee is using anything, is he?

Check with him, as he runs all day long and has not heat problems.

Comment

Re: intercooler for 4bt conversion

Originally posted by Reiche
      Getting all the goodies together for my 4bt conversion and am contemplating adding an intercooler.

Wondering what any of you guys have used other than the standard air to water cooler cummins has.

Thanks
      How did you acquire the engine you will be using? What will you be using for a transmission? Tell us more....
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Re: intercooler for 4bt conversion

Thanks
        I do Cummins 4BTA conversions on a regular basis. I use new engines spec'ed with jacket water aftercoolers. You will be able to run a richer fuel setting resulting in more horsepower & torque by using the aftercooler. I have also used GARRETT charge air coolers. Have done comparisions between the 2, results just as good with the jacket water cooler & far less fabrication involved in using it.

Comment

Engine supplier etc.

I got the engine from Diesel Depot in Georgia. Jamie was very helpful.

I am putting a NV4500 out of a '00 chevy P/U 2wd behind it (these are hard to find!!). I am going to use a Lakewood explosion proof bellhousing as an adapter (some machining required). I had to bore it out, drill 3 additional mounting holes to mount to the block and make mounting holes for the tranny. This will also get the twist out of the drivetrain.

Once I get the bellhousing done I'm going to forward some pictures to Garbee to post on his website.

I know the factory intercooler is much easier but the thought of polished aluminum or stainless under the hood is tempting!!

Comment

Re: Engine supplier etc.

I got the engine from Diesel Depot in Georgia. Jamie was very helpful.

I am putting a NV4500 out of a '00 chevy P/U 2wd behind it (these are hard to find!!). I am going to use a Lakewood explosion proof bellhousing as an adapter (some machining required). I had to bore it out, drill 3 additional mounting holes to mount to the block and make mounting holes for the tranny. This will also get the twist out of the drivetrain.

Once I get the bellhousing done I'm going to forward some pictures to Garbee to post on his website.

I know the factory intercooler is much easier but the thought of polished aluminum or stainless under the hood is tempting!!
            It sounds really interesting. You know you can post photos here, too.... we would like to see the work.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

The intercoolers out of the Isuzu 4 bangers that have been wrecked are very popular. They are usually easy to find. They are also popular (to steal) whenever the import turbo racers are in town.

Comment

Volvo intercooler

I just purchased a Volvo intercooler (air) at the local self serv yard for the price of a radiator. It will go with the nisan diesel in a friends command car.

Comment

Working...
                X