X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockwell axles under W500's

Are they marked Rockwell or Timken?

The transfer is Rockwell?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

In 1957 I think both axles are Timken and are split case.

The rear becomes a "Rockwell Standard" sideloader within the next couple of yrs & stays that way throughout the W500/600 run, ending in 1977.

The front stays split case through 1973 but somewhere I think it picks up the Rockwell name. I am guess Rockwell bought out Timken at some point.

Rockwell Standard became Rockwell International maybe in the 70's

Timken was big in the railroad industry & I believe came up with the roller bearing.

Bucky

Comment

Both my 65 W500 & 75 W600 have Rockwell T223 t-cases. I seem to have read where Canadian W600's may have had the much smaller NP201 T-case in the 70's.

Bucky

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

My 1968 W500:
          Front axle tag states "ROCKWELL STANDARD CORPORATION" FDS-750BM-X3
          Rear Axle is listed as a "TIMKEN H 141"
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

W600

My rear reads Rockwell H141
            Front is FDS 75HDX 75

Both say Rockwell Standard div of Rockwell International.

Comment

Prior to 74, the 6.8 was only ratio available.

74-77 were 6.2 (maybe 6.17, too lazy to go look) if Dana 70 front, otherwise still 6.8

The Dana 70 W600 had a lower GVW & were more common than those with the Rockwell FDS front.
              That Dana 70 front was only used 74-77 mainly shares only the housing with the Dana 70 that was used in W300's.

Bucky

Comment

Good work.

Comment

http://www.meritor.com/ourcompany/history/default.aspx

Here is a very, very brief history on the Meritor home page. Meritor is the current name of the company that has the Rockwell/Timken lineage.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post

Here is a very, very brief history on the Meritor home page. Meritor is the current name of the company that has the Rockwell/Timken lineage.

Bucky
                    Neat!

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post

Bucky
                      Thanks for the history. that explains the data plate mystery.

Comment

Funny you should post that history..

My dad went to work for Rockwell Standard in Ashtabula 1965. It was called the brake plant at the time. He was transferred to Fairfield Iowa in 1978, and the Ashtabula plant closed up a few years later. I started at the Fairfield plant in 1988, when I was 18. That place was primarily off road (it started out as a supplier to John Deere Ottumwa) and marine equipment up to 88 or so, and they eventually took on more on highway product due to consolidation. We built driveshafts, axles, etc. for Caterpillar, Volvo, Mack, Mercury Marine...
                        I quit in 97 (and went to work for John Deere) before the name changed to Merritor.. but up to that point, I had lived on a Rockwell paycheck all of my life.
                        The Fairfield plant closed in May of 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
                          My dad went to work for Rockwell Standard in Ashtabula 1965. It was called the brake plant at the time. He was transferred to Fairfield Iowa in 1978, and the Ashtabula plant closed up a few years later. I started at the Fairfield plant in 1988, when I was 18. That place was primarily off road (it started out as a supplier to John Deere Ottumwa) and marine equipment up to 88 or so, and they eventually took on more on highway product due to consolidation. We built driveshafts, axles, etc. for Caterpillar, Volvo, Mack, Mercury Marine...

I quit in 97 (and went to work for John Deere) before the name changed to Merritor.. but up to that point, I had lived on a Rockwell paycheck all of my life.

The Fairfield plant closed in May of 2002.
                          Another sad plant closing.

Comment

Hi Gordon there is picture of the front diff tag on my google share album for our W500:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10271...553?banner=pwa

It is towards the bottom of the page.

Comment

W500

Very manly truck

Comment

Working...
                              X