My 75 W600 in Kremmling, Colo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 75 W600 in Kremmling, Colo

The seller went up to the mountains to check on accessibilty of getting my truck out of there. I bought it back in November but had to wait out this year's 414" Winter snowfall. Planning on going up there first weekend in June & bringing it back to Texas.

LA engine & has the optional Rockwell front axle (most W600's are Dana 70 front).

Has all the snowplow set-up except the blade, which I'd like to (maybe) locate. Also thankfully has power steering, which as you may know I normally wouldn't be crazy about HAHA.

Bucky
    Attached Files

BTW this pic was taken @ May 1st.

Comment

Nice looking rig Bucky!
      Are you going to trailer
      it home?
      John

Comment

step ladder

thats a big boy!!!! there are step ladder thingys that hook over the front wheel so you can access the engine compartment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
          Nice looking rig Bucky!
          Are you going to trailer
          it home?
          John
          Originally I had a heavy equipment contractor who made monthly runs from TX to Salt Lake City offer to bring it back on one of his empty return runs, but the Winter had sat in by the time I had bought the truck. W600 was way up in the Mtns, not accessible by vehicle, but snowshoes so I was told.

Anyways my "car hauler" won't handle the weight, so I'm planning on taking a tilt trailer (used for hauling scissorlifts, equipt, etc) that's rated for 12,000# gross.

The W600 runs/drives/stops & has had many things replaced in the last few years (brakes, t-case), but I don't feel comfortable firing up a rig that has sat up for 6 months & heading 500 miles, even if it is down hill. 6.8 gears would be tiresome too maybe....but its nice to be towing something that actually runs if I need a back-up.

Eventually I may go with some 53" tires on military style "super single" wheels. Rockwell bolt pattern is same as the top-loader guys. Also wouldn't this make a nice crew cab...... got a built 440.... ferry horn..... you get the idea.

Bucky

Comment

Whatever your tow vehicle is, it had better have a lot of stopping power!! I might have to make a trip up your way to see that, when you get it home.
            Jeff

Comment

That's a nice rig, does it still have split ring wheels like the older 300's and 500's? When you put big tires on it you will want to look into having them trued and strobe balanced, it makes all the difference in the world going down the road and your tires will last longer.

Comment

I am not sure if the current wheels are split ring (like my W500). I don't have a picture of them.

The seller is a dentist in Denver. He bought the W600 back in the mid 90's to haul materials to the building site of a log cabin he constructed up in the mtns. It has an electric hoist mounted on the rear of the flatbed. It served its purpose for him very well over the years. I can hardly wait to drive it.

Jeff I will invite you up when its here. I do plan on putting up alot of pics, these are sorta of an unknown species.

Bucky

Comment

W600 more pics

As of May 20, 2011 it is still snowing in parts of the area there.

Finding a trailer to go get this with is proving to be a challenge. Goosenecks ith capacity of 10k+ require CDL/USDOT & I'm not set-up for one anyways. Few bumper pulls are wide enough.

Bucky
                  Attached Files

Comment

Massive?

BTW that is a road grader hidden behind the W600 in the left picture. Truck had a sand spreader & 10' blade at one time. Tare wt was listed & painted on driver's door as 13,200lbs.

Title shows 9700 for bare truck.

Snow chains (set of four) come with it & weigh 41lbs each.

Bucky

Comment

I dont have a CDL

Bucky,

I have seen in snow in that part of CO until the middle of June, and other parts of CO into July if you are at the right elevation. Snow this time of year does not really affect road conditions like it does during the winter, the pavement is to warm by this time of year for it to become slick/sticking.

I don't have a CDL, and on the back of my CO driver license says that I can operate a motor vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds as a single unit or in combination. I'm sure some states vary but that's what my CO driver's license says. I've talked to state troopers and DOT guys and they have always given me the green light, for my truck and goose-neck trailer, no CDL required. No one has ever bothered me, when I am loaded (with the trailer) in other states either, about not having a CDL.

What is the going rate for hauling a W500/600 these days? It's been a few years since I've hauled one but I have hauled a few W500's as well as many W300's. My truck and trailer is more than capable of pulling your W600 to TX if you want. That is if Jim Hauls is not going to haul it for you.

Let me know, Matt

Comment

Matt,

Contact me at buckyrteel@gmail.com I am very interested in using you to at least get the truck part ways here, if not all the way.

Yes I am considering Jim Hauls, but he needs at least 6 weeks notice & is limited to 10,000 lbs. But I don't have an acurate weight for the W600. Tare wt with all original plow/spreader equip was 13,200, but Co title shows 9700, which I suspect is a good ball park figure. Either way your rig can handle it.

The seller is prepared for me to come get the truck Sat June 4th, 2 weeks from today, but we can put the pick-up date back to whenever. Seller is very understanding & in no hurry, its just that he lives in Denver & needs a good advance notice.

Also Jim Hauls doesn't want to pick up the truck in Kremmling, but Denver. Says that Kremmling probably is too out of the way for a practical pick-up spot.

Yes no CDL required (in TX at least) for less than 26,000 GCVW truck, BUT Tx does require a CDL for you to pull a trailer that carries more than 10,000.
                        If I could find a bumper pull (like Jim's which is custon built) trailer with only a 10,000 capacity, that is wide enough, then I'd come get it myself.

I have found equipment tilt trailers that are 10,000 capacity, but only 82" wide. If I remove the rear outer wheels on the W600 I might be able to back it onto the trailer, with the front tires straddling the trailer edge. Still thinking.

Please contact me via email. I wanna get this done.

Thanks Matt

Bucky

Comment

Thanks Matt

I got your email & replied. I also sent an email to both you & the seller so we can communicate together.

I have been waiting since November to get this truck here. Thats as close to being pregnant as I will ever experience.

Bucky

Comment

That is one cool truck.

Got to be frustrating to own it but not get it for so long.

Looking forward to lots of pictures once you get the beast home.
                            1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                            1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                            1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
                              That is one cool truck.

Got to be frustrating to own it but not get it for so long.

Looking forward to lots of pictures once you get the beast home.
                              What is equally frustrating is the 66 W500 that I bought last yr in March, waited until July to get, & haven't even had the time to mess with much. Its a non-runner though. The W600 will be enjoyed the minute it comes off of the trailer.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                              X