No announcement yet.

Restorable???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the info Will. I went ahead and ran a ground wire to both the filler neck and fuel pickup just incase.

And thanks Ammo. The pictures might be helping me out... hiding defects. Are you goin' on a restoration?

Well since I finished the rear wiring up I went ahead and installed my remaining bed wood. It looks good so I figured I'd put a couple pics up.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Gorgeous, JReed.

Comment

• Looks beautiful Joel! Do you know when you will have the truck on the road?

BTW, Tim dropped off the cab dolly last week. Thanks for making it and passing it on. I have 2 trucks that I'll be using it on.
        Greg Coffin
        Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
        1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
        1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
        1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
        1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
        1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Coffin View Post
          Looks beautiful Joel! Do you know when you will have the truck on the road?

BTW, Tim dropped off the cab dolly last week. Thanks for making it and passing it on. I have 2 trucks that I'll be using it on.
          Greg, glad to hear you're making use of it.
          I always plan to get on here and respond a little quicker and update my progress too, but its just hard to make it happen. Well anyway, I've been real busy on the truck, putting in some long weekends for quite a few weeks now and I think I'll pull it out of the garage tomorrow. First drive for the truck in over 20 years, and my first time ever to drive it.

Ill post some progress below.

Comment

• I've done quite a bit since my last update. I got my drag link and floor board installed.... headliner and all the trim and rear glass, hung the seat back, installed the wipers (one of which I had rebuilt, but now has too great a range of motion by about 5 or so degrees). I got a real good jump on the electrical this last weekend and finished it up last night. It was quite a bit of work, but not bad after I made some decisions and got started. Biggest thing is figuring where to route everything and how to keep it clean. I like my music a lot so I had to put a stereo in the truck which made for a bit more work too.

The stereo I installed is just a two channel blue tooth signaled amp that I used to power two Polk 6.5" coaxial's. I like it because there is no interface, just I power switch I have somewhat hidden. EQ, volume... everything is done from whatever bluetooth capable device you have. Even the speakers are super subtle when there not under direct worklight.

After hearing the speakers I ended up deciding to see if I could get a little better low end. I did some research and I liked the 6" Bazooka self powered subwoofer and decided to give it a shot after taking a few rough measurements. It fits perfectly. I just tapped into the signal going to the polk's and put some bass blockers on them. I installed a remote sub control just below the dash, but its easily removable if I want to. Anyway, the stereo sounds great. Truly better that any vehicle I've had. I drove an A6 for awhile with a Bose system and I really like my PW's system more. The Subwoofer can be ridiculously loud in that small cab, but its easy to control. I think part of the reason it sounds so good is just the size of the cab.......Well, thought I'd leave a little info on the stereo because I hadn't seen much about it on here and thought maybe there'd be some interest.

I started the truck tonight and all of the wiring switches and gauges work perfectly. Tomorrow I plan on getting the front fenders, headlights and splash guards installed (had them off while wiring) and greasing all 500 zerks and going on my maiden voyage. I try and get a pic or two. I'll also add a few more pics of the finished wiring.

oh, also added a master power switch.

Heres a bunch of pics:
            Attached Files

Comment

• A few of the stereo:
              Attached Files

Comment

• Sub: (it fits perfectly beneath and behind the seat)
                Attached Files

Comment

• And one of my work cubicle: I started without the amenities and went to bed with a back ache so the next day I made it more homey
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Nice

Before I read your post, I was thinking, that looks like a Bazooka Tube, not what you expect in a Power Wagon, then I read it and thought about it some more, it makes a lot more sense. Serious sounds from a serious build, the inter-face and on and on, as usual, "Excellent Work"!
                    Happy Holidays,

Comment

• Thanks Bruce.

Well I got the truck on the road last night. Started working on it over 10 years ago, so it seems a little unreal. I can think of a lot of times I didn't think I'd finish, thought about parting it out and any number of other things. Definitely more work than I thought it would be, but now its done and I'm glad I did it.

Anyway, until last night, I'd never driven the truck. I can remember seeing it driven by my dad and a few brothers when I was young, but it hasn't rolled under its own power in over twenty years. It runs great. No problems at all. I've never felt steering quite that heavy. I got in my normal pickup afterward and it totally threw me off, almost felt like something was wrong with it.

I'll put a few pics of the first drive up here in a while when I transfer them.

Got a few more of the electrical for now though... I still have to add a few ties and secure a few wires, but pretty much complete. You can see the power distribution block that I used for any added wiring that wouldn't have been on the original harness. I also used another ground block under the dash and one under the hood (like the one at the rear of the truck).
                      Attached Files

Comment

• A few more of lights and how I wired and grounded them. It was definitely necessary to ground some of these lights the way I did. Like the fog lights on the front bumper and the headlights... both are mounted on heavily lined parts and had no continuity to the rest of the truck when I tested them.

I routed the wiring for the fog lights and the ground for the right headlight across the underside of the rear winch mounting bracket through a piece of fuel hose.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Congratulations Joel.
                          An incredible job done in a most professional way.

Although we've not met, and only conversed via keyboard a few times, I hope im not out of place saying i feel sure your Dad and Bro's would be very proud of what you have achieved.

A true family heirloom resurrected in the finest detail.

Hats off to you.

Greg.

Comment

• Way to go!

What a great Christmas present to yourself! Enjoy, and plan on being stopped all the time by people wanting to see it and visit. They attract a lot of attention.
                            Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                            2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

• Congratulations! It's all gorgeous work. I know what you mean about it being weird though. Had mine for 7 years and drove it (or any Power wagon) for the first time a few months ago. Talk about delayed gratification, but it's worth it!

Comment

• Thanks Guys. I'll definitely still be on here with questions and what not. I still have quite a few odds and and loose ends to tie up. Until then though, a few pics of the first few drives...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X