Need help with transfercase I.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with transfercase I.D.

Have 47 truck body on what appears to be a WC. However, 118 wheelbase which no one has heard of. Has single speed transfer case. Housing is same as 3/4- 1 ton model except the case housing does not have the internal bolt bosses and the shift rail seal O.D. is one inch not 1.25. Vintage Power Wagons says the seal numbers are the same for both 1/2 and 3/4 models. Trying to locate a correct rail seal. Can anyone help?
    Attached Files

Ignoring the identify of the transfer case, have you tried taking your old seal and your shift rail to a bearing house or drive train house and having them match it by physical description?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Great point Gordon. I find that it is often quicker, easier, and cheaper to just go get a seal or bearing from the local bearing supply house. You will probably want to take the housing and the rail with you so they can get measurements, they may not have the exact thing you want, but they will probably have something that will fit and work just as well on hand. Sometimes they can even convert the measurements over to a newer metric seal with multiple sealing options to be sure to keep crud out and lube in where they belong.

Comment

Thanks for your replies That's an option that I may have to follow. Would still like to know what I actually have.

Comment

Looking at the case photo it looks like it might be a VC transfer case.
          Originally posted by tom00799 View Post
          Have 47 truck body on what appears to be a WC. However, 118 wheelbase which no one has heard of. Has single speed transfer case. Housing is same as 3/4- 1 ton model except the case housing does not have the internal bolt bosses and the shift rail seal O.D. is one inch not 1.25. Vintage Power Wagons says the seal numbers are the same for both 1/2 and 3/4 models. Trying to locate a correct rail seal. Can anyone help?

Comment

I think you might be right. I took Gordon's advice and found a seal at the local bearing house.

Comment

Is the casting number on the case C37211?

Thanks
              I think you might be right. I took Gordon's advice and found a seal at the local bearing house.

Comment

yes

Comment

The T case is a VC. Thanks for confirming the casting number.
                  yes

Comment

Thanks for your help. Now I just need to figure out the rest of what I have.

Comment

Tom at the ear of your transmission do you have a bracket that bolts to the top rear of the transmission which has a shaft that the T case in and out lever attaches to? If you do then the transmission assembly is also VC. The bracket is an innerlock so you cannot put the transmission in first gear unless you are in four wheel drive. Whenyou have a spare moment please call me at 815-791-2044 thanks.
                      Thanks for your help. Now I just need to figure out the rest of what I have.

Comment

I had a word with Tom about this truck

It seems to be a WD 20 pickup from the late ward period, with the original chassis ( 120" wheelbase ) and cab, presumably the front metal too. Someone has added a VC transfer case in a bolt-on bracket, and a pair of half ton WC axles.

Now that he knows what it is he is looking for 120" wheelbase bed to fit, most likely a TD 20, VD 20, or WD 20 unit.

Comment

Working...
                        X