Choosing a 1972 to 1993 Dodge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a 1972 to 1993 Dodge

Even with all the Dodge 4X4's I have owned, I have not owned one from the '72-'93 era. Drawing upon this group, how do you categorize the differences within this year range?

What do you feel are the year ranges that define meaningfully different trim or body features?

What do you feel are the year ranges that define meaningfully different drive train configurations?

What are your thoughts on engines and transmissions from this era?

Which is your favorite and why?

After I learn something from you folks I will create a poll and we will learn some more from this.

Discuss, please....

:-)
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

As for body categories I generally just consider two: 72-80 the powerwagon era & 80-93 the Power Ram era. These of course can be subdivided based mainly on grill changes. 72-73,74-76,77-78,79-80,81-85,86-90,91-93. I prefer the 77-78 grill and consider this sort of a peak styling wise for Dodge.

As to drivetrain categories: 72-74 divorced t-case era, 75-80 full-time era, 81-93 part-time era.

As to engine categories: 75-78 big block era, 72-80 small-block thats still easy to work on era, 81-86 more complicated smog crap era, 87-93 getting into injected era.

Had I to do it over again, I'd have left my 78 full-time instead of swapping to divorced 205, altough the winch is nice.

Bucky

Comment

best year 1974

1974: Pre gas crunch. design engineers were not as concerned with weight & mpg issues.
      Pre emissions/smog regs. major issue in California. complying with regs robbed motors of power and performance for the sake of emissions.
      Locking hubs. I still enjoy getting out and "locking them in"
      Electronic ignition. carry a spare ballast resistor and your all set
      Mechanical carb. trouble shooting the fuel injection system in my 89 ramcharger has me frustrated to the point of getting rid of the vehicle. too many sensors, over complicated.
      Mechanical fuel pump. can be changed sitting on the ground with wheel at full turn.
      Transfer case. I've been told that the Xfer cases are desirable. I can't say why they are desirable, because i didnt understand the explanation.
      NO computer,
      the 74 W300's came with Dana 70's front and rear.

Cons
      Drum brakes
      Gas tank. located in cab makes it easy to work on, but dangerous I guess
      melting amp meter guage

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
        As for body categories I generally just consider two: 72-80 the powerwagon era & 80-93 the Power Ram era. These of course can be subdivided based mainly on grill changes. 72-73,74-76,77-78,79-80,81-85,86-90,91-93. I prefer the 77-78 grill and consider this sort of a peak styling wise for Dodge.

As to drivetrain categories: 72-74 divorced t-case era, 75-80 full-time era, 81-93 part-time era.

As to engine categories: 75-78 big block era, 72-80 small-block thats still easy to work on era, 81-86 more complicated smog crap era, 87-93 getting into injected era.

Had I to do it over again, I'd have left my 78 full-time instead of swapping to divorced 205, altough the winch is nice.

Bucky
        How interchangeable is the sheetmetal; fenders, doors, hoods? How interchangeable is the grill?

Comment

The fenders and doors are the same 72 to 80. Got rid of the Birdbath hood in 79. The 79 also had different cowl. The lower valance had turn signal lights 72 to 76 and 79 to 80. The 77 and 78 had turn signals in grill. Body parts will interchange between 72 to 93 but the body lines will not match up.

The frames are about the same over 72 to 93.

Comment

Originally posted by yogibare143 View Post
            The fenders and doors are the same 72 to 80. Got rid of the Birdbath hood in 79. The 79 also had different cowl. The lower valance had turn signal lights 72 to 76 and 79 to 80. The 77 and 78 had turn signals in grill. Body parts will interchange between 72 to 93 but the body lines will not match up.

The frames are about the same over 72 to 93.
            Is this entire year range of 72 to 93 essentially the same with respect to tendency to rust? [I am not saying I think or know they have problems, just raising the question.]

Is the 1-ton frame different from the 1/2 and 3/4 ton frame?

Comment

All these era trucks seem to have same problem with rust. Front and rear fender well's. Also kick panel and floor boards.

I believe the 1 ton trucks had beefed up frame

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                Transfer case. I've been told that the Xfer cases are desirable. I can't say why they are desirable, because i didnt understand the explanation.
                New Process 205: a divorced-case gear driven monster deemed bulletproof and the strongest t-case possibly offered in a 1-ton or less truck. Also offered in a married version from 81-93 in the 1-tons and possibly certain 3/4 tons. Divorced versions allow easy changing out of engine/transmission combinations. You can put virtually any make of motor/transmission in front of it, as long as it rotates the correct direction. I agree drivetrain wise the 74 was the pinnacle for an old school gasoline powered 4x4.

Bucky

Comment

Seems like all 3 series have different frames from a section modulus standpoint.

Although the rust thing carried on throughout most of the lifestyle era, the 80's trucks seemed to have to WORST paint durability. When they went to clear-coat, hoods & cab roofs didn't last no time. Also solid white trucks were known to peel down to the bare metal.

The above mentioned 72-78 bird-bath hoods should be used in drought areas for water collection purposes. Almost guaranteed to have water in thoses recesses every morning.

Trucks were notorious for wiring headaches too. 80's trucks got too complicated with sensors and vacuum garbage to even work on.

Two of my uncles (die hard chevy men) took a gamble in 85 and bought 2 new rams (a D350 & W150). Both trucks had the clear coat wear off within 2 years. Trucks got lighter (less heavy) as time went on due to things like exhaust system, speakers, door panels, body trim falling off. They never had a lick of trouble with engine/transmission, but both returned to chevrolet within 4-5 yrs.

bucky

Comment

My brain is blocking. I am thinking the Dana 70 front was used in 1972, or am I remembering the W500 used the 71 sheetmetal in 72?

Quite a diverse range of content, I admit.

I like lockout hubs, so for me, I would choose something with lockouts. I know there has been a storm of controversy here about that at times....

One advantage of the up to '93 is that you don't have the ball joint and coil front of the '94 & up truck.

Comment

choosing a 72-93 Dodge

I have owned a total of 3 trucks from this era. a 1988 D100 that I bought new in May of 1988 and a 1983 D150 Royal, and a 1991 D150 that I bought used
                      The 83 and the 91 I still own, and I wish I still owned the 88 as well. I owned it for 18 years.
                      The major difference between these three trucks would be that the 83 has a utiline box and the 88 and 91 have the sweptline box.
                      all 3 share the fact of being long wheel base trucks and the major differences are all in the 83 vs the other two trucks which are basically the same truck
                      The 83 is carbeurated and the other two have single point fuel injection.
                      all 3 of these trucks have an automatic tranny and they are all 727's
                      The 83 has a 2 barrel Holley that I am planning on rebuilding come spring
                      The only thing different in the 91 is the fact that it has styled steel wheels and I am guessing they were originally painted argent (they need repainted) but I am not sure
                      I found out from a member of this forum that the 91 has anti-lock brakes in the back wheels, and everything still works in it even the air conditioner.
                      The only other Dodge truck that I have ever owned is a 69 D100 (where I got my handle from.
                      DB=Dodge Brothers, 69=the 69 D100 that I formerly owned.)
                      At some point in time I would like to own a power wagon and would also like to own a pre war Dodge car preferably a mid to late 30's Dodge Brothers

Comment

Gordon

I think after 1974 W300's went to Dana 60 fronts, which i have been told are just as good, BUT,...... "Dana 70's front and rear" sounds so much more impressive. I love it when 20 year old gear heads dismiss the beat up W300 9ft utiline, untill they look underneath and exclaim " holy ----!! look at that front axle!!Hey guys look at this monster!!"
                        Thats right youngblood old skool is kool

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                          I think after 1974 W300's went to Dana 60 fronts, which i have been told are just as good, BUT,...... "Dana 70's front and rear" sounds so much more impressive. I love it when 20 year old gear heads dismiss the beat up W300 9ft utiline, untill they look underneath and exclaim " holy ----!! look at that front axle!!Hey guys look at this monster!!"
                          Thats right youngblood old skool is kool
                          Yes, thank you, that is right. Sometime when I don't think about something for a long time, it...uh, gets away.

Ronald Reagan once said that as you get older there is a first thing that goes, but I can't remember what he said....

I drove my W300 [Dana 70's front and rear] to a farm sale once. There were lots of fancy trucks. It was fun, driving through the place to pick up my purchases, watching all those heads turn, following my progress. I had this old truck that was taller than theirs, in stock trim.

One time I pulled onto the scale at a scrap yard, as I was taking a load of iron to them. Three guys in the scale house had their faces glued to the window. None of them moved for what seemed a long time.

"We wuz admirin' yer Dodge," one of them said, when they finally came out to tell me to continue into the yard to unload.

:-)

Comment

rusty radiator support

the radiator supports were good at holding moisture and rusting out. it is one of the first places i look when evaluating a potential purchase. most sellers overlook radiator supports when sprucing up their truck.

Comment

Cabs & Beds

We didn't go into detail concerning cabs/beds/wheelbases.

Obviously regular cab was available all those years.
                              Crew cab (4 door) until 1985
                              Club cab started in 73 2wd, then 74 4wd. It run through 93 but was not available during some of the late 80's model years.

Uteline bed I think came in 3 lenghts: 6.5' shortbox, 8' long box, and a 9 footer on the early W300's. Uteline beds were discontinued around 85.

Sweptline box came 6.5' & 8' during all years. The shortboxes were I think only on 1/2 tons, except the W200 crewcabs.

I think there were only 4 wheelbases offered during this era, not counting cab/chassis trucks.
                              I can't remember the exact specs on the regular cab short bed (about 116") or regular cab long bed (maybe 131").
                              Almost certain club cab long box (or crew cab shorty) rode 149" WB.
                              Crew cab long box (2wd) had about 165" WB.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                              X